How to find motional emf w/o an equation for mag field?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sequoiasprout
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 1K views
sequoiasprout
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
I need to code (in python) a simulation of a magnet dropping through a metal tube, demonstrating Faraday's law.
Relevant Equations
\oint_C {E \cdot d\ell = - \frac{d}{{dt}}} \int_S {B_n dA}
So I am tackling this by iterating over small rings, but I don't know how on earth I can write a function to calculate the flux through one of those ring's surface area. How can I use the derivative of a function I don't have an expression for? There must be some approximation I can make... but I don't know what it is.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you- but this won't work for what is asked of me. Interesting though!
 
sequoiasprout said:
Thank you- but this won't work for what is asked of me. Interesting though!
Can you be more specific as to why it won't work?
 
renormalize said:
Can you be more specific as to why it won't work?
I can't just take a function someone else made
 
sequoiasprout said:
I can't just take a function someone else made
Of course not, but you can read and understand the approach the authors use to obtain the magnetic flux through the rings and then apply Faraday's Law to find the force on the falling magnet. With that understanding you should be able to derive the appropriate results for yourself and develop code for it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sequoiasprout