How to find power from gallons?

• Thread starter Sneakatone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, during the seven months of the cold season in the northeastern United States, a medium-sized house requires about 1.0x10^8 Btu of heat to keep warm. A typical furnace delivers 1.3x10^5 Btu of heat per gallon of fuel oil. To determine the number of gallons of fuel oil a house will consume during the cold season, you can use the conversion factor of 125,000 Btu/gal. So, if a house uses 2.2x10^8 Btu of heat, it will consume approximately 1833 gallons of fuel oil. To find the average power delivered by the furnace, you can divide the total heat required in one season (1.
Sneakatone
during the seven months of the cold season in the northeastern United states, a medium-sized house requires about 1.0x10^8 Btu of heat to keep warm. Atypical furnace delivers 1.3x10^5 Btu of heat per gallon of fuel oil.

a) How many gallons of fuel oil does a house consume during the cold season if it uses 2.2x10^8 Btu of heat?
I converted 2.2x10^8 by 2.2x10^8/125,000= 1833 gal

b)what is the average power delivered by the furnace?
I don't know how to do this

Physics news on Phys.org
Sneakatone said:
during the seven months of the cold season in the northeastern United states, a medium-sized house requires about 1.0x10^8 Btu of heat to keep warm. Atypical furnace delivers 1.3x10^5 Btu of heat per gallon of fuel oil.

a) How many gallons of fuel oil does a house consume during the cold season if it uses 2.2x10^8 Btu of heat?
I converted 2.2x10^8 by 2.2x10^8/125,000= 1833 gal
Where did 25,000 come from? Try a slightly different number.

b)what is the average power delivered by the furnace?
I don't know how to do this

power = heat pr unit time. In this case Btu/sec. If the furnace delivers 2.2e8 Btu in 7 months, how many Btu does it deliver in 1 sec.? Then convert Btu to Joules and you get - what?

for 1 I put 125000
12.12 btu per sec =12 787.2769 joules

Sneakatone said:
for 1 I put 125000
12.12 btu per sec =12 787.2769 joules

Sorry, I meant where did 125,000 come from?

12.12 Btu/s is about right (I got 11.96 but never mind that).

I'll take your word for the no. of J per Btu.
So if I generate 12 787.2769 J/sec. what's that in units of power?

125000 is the conversion factor from Btu to gal.

12787.27 J/sec is also watts which is power

Sneakatone said:
125000 is the conversion factor from Btu to gal.

'Fraid not. Btu and gallons are different units of measure. You can't equate them.

Look again at how many Btu you get from 1 gallon, then look again at how many Btu are consumed in one season ...
12787.27 J/sec is also watts which is power

That is correct.

thanks a lot !

1. How do you calculate the power from gallons?

The power from gallons can be calculated using the formula Power = (volume in gallons) x (density of the liquid) x (acceleration due to gravity).

2. What is the unit of measurement for power from gallons?

The unit of measurement for power from gallons is watts, which is a unit of power representing the rate of energy transfer or conversion.

3. How does the density of the liquid affect the power from gallons?

The density of the liquid directly affects the power from gallons as it is a factor in the calculation formula. The denser the liquid, the higher the power from gallons will be.

4. Can power from gallons be converted to other units of power?

Yes, power from gallons can be converted to other units of power such as horsepower, BTUs, or kilowatts.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating power from gallons?

Calculating power from gallons is commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, where the power of pumps and other machinery is determined based on the volume of liquid being moved. It is also useful in understanding the efficiency of engines and motors that use liquid fuel.