How to find tangential and radial acceleration from velocity and acceleration vectors

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
BitterX
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Hey

I have an accelerated circular motion problem.

I have only the position equation, from which I derived the velocity and acceleration.

how can I tell what is the tangential acceleration and what is the radial acceleration?

If you could point me towards a source to read about the subject, it would be great.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The tangential is the usual position, velocity or acceleration. The radial is called the angular postition,velocity or acceleration
So they are connected by
[itex]v = \omega * r , a = r*\alpha[/itex]
 
Let's see if I understand, here's an example:

I have:
[itex]a= -40\pi [ \sin (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3}) + 4\pi t^2 \cos (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3})] \hat{i} + 40\pi [\cos (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3})- t^2 \sin (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3})] \hat{j} [/itex]

(I derived it from [itex]r= 10 \cos (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3}) \hat{i} + 10\sin (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3}) \hat{j}[/itex] )

I was asked to determine what is the acceleration without direction at [itex]t=\sqrt{2}[/itex]

and also the tangential and radial acceleration.

so I just plugged it in, and got about 483.5 m/s^2

so by what you say, [itex]\sqrt{a^2 + (\frac{a}{R})^2} = 483.5[/itex] ?edit: I looked in wikipedia under Non-uniform circular motion, I understand now - the value I got was for the tangential acceleration, the radial is simply [itex]\frac{v^2}{R}[/itex] I don't know why I thought it's only true for Uniform circular motion
 
Last edited: