1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the Key Point and Asymptote

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I don't particularly need help with any one problem, I just need a refresher on how to find the Key Point and Asymptote of an equation like the following:

Key Point=?

2. Relevant equations

I'm pretty sure I'll only need the original equation f(x)=2^(x+3)+3 and the unmodified equation f(x)=2^(x) lthough I'm not sure if my unmodified version is right.

3. The attempt at a solution

From what I remember, to find the Y-Intercept I need to set X equal to zero, and so:

And so the Y-Intercept would be (0,7)

I alos remember that finding Key Point has something to do with finding the Y-Intercept without any of the additional modifiers in the equation:

I'm not even sure I did that right, but assuming I did, I do not know what to do with the answer. I remember I somehow combine it with the Y-Intercept, but I simply cannot remember how.

For the Asymptote, I believe I simply take the number that modifies the X and set it equal to X:

Again, I'm not sure about this, so any help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2
    Your function [tex]f(x)=2^{x+2}+3 [/tex] has a horizontal asymptote. To find a horizontal asymptote such that [tex]{\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty} f(x)[/tex] and [tex]{\lim }\limits_{x \to - \infty} f(x)[/tex] Also, horizontal asymptotes are written as "y="
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?