How to find the maximum rpm of the solid shaft that has a ring mounted on it?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
a.googoodolls
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have to find the maximum rpm of the shaft that has ring mounted on the shaft with interference fit of 0.002". I want to know at what rpm the ring will come loose from the shaft?

and

If I run the shaft at 7000rpm at 400 degree Celsius, is the interference fit of 002" enough for the ring to hold on to the shaft? How can I find out if it is adequate or not?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Angular velocity will have no bearing on whether the collar will stay on the shaft. Differential thermal expansion could play a part though, if the two parts are made of different materials.