Calculate Propeller RPM from Motor No Load RPM

In summary, the relation between motor RPMs and propeller RPMs is affected by factors such as drag, weight, and internal resistance. The recommended specifications for a motor and propeller include a 10-cell battery, 231kv RPM, maximum current of 80A, 2960 watts, and a suggested 21x13 APC-W propeller. By multiplying the shaft RPM (231) with the battery voltage (37V), the maximum RPM for the shaft is calculated to be 8500. However, to determine the actual RPM of the propeller, one must consider the performance curves and flying speed. This may require experimenting with different props to find the most inexpensive option with the highest thrust output.
Metalheadman
Hello I am wondering what the relation between motor rpms and propeller rpms. I know that once you put the propeller on you are going to lose some of that speed due to drag and weight of the propeller.

Spec.
Battery: 10 Cell /37V
RPM: 231kv
Max current: 80A
Watts: 2960w
No load current: 37V/1.47A
Internal resistance: 0.028 ohm
Pole Count: 24
Weight: 849g
Diameter of shaft: 10mm
Suggested ESC: 120A 10S Compatible
Suggested Prop: 21x13 APC-W

So this shaft maximum rpm would be 231 * 37 = 8500 rpms.

So if I put that prop on that they suggest what would the rpms be of that propeller and how would I go about figuring those numbers out so I can do this for multiple motors. I need to know what the maximum thrust output is to find the most inexpensive motor that has the highest thrust output.

So to sum up is there a mathematical way to figure out the rpms of a propeller with the propeller data and the shaft rpm of the motor so I can calculate the maximum thrust that the motor and prop I choose will put out?

Thanks for the help guys I hope you under stand what I am asking

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The motor and propeller have performance curves: you will need to find where they cross.

+1

Sadly it's hard finding data on model aircraft props. You also need to factor in the flying speed as they unload as the plane accelerates. I've always had to buy several props an experiment.

What is the formula for calculating propeller RPM from motor no load RPM?

The formula for calculating propeller RPM from motor no load RPM is: propeller RPM = (motor no load RPM * 60) / (propeller pitch * propeller gear ratio).

What is the significance of calculating propeller RPM from motor no load RPM?

Calculating propeller RPM from motor no load RPM allows you to determine the speed at which your propeller will rotate under no load conditions. This information is important for optimizing the performance and efficiency of your motor and propeller.

How accurate is the calculation of propeller RPM from motor no load RPM?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the input values, such as motor no load RPM, propeller pitch, and propeller gear ratio. It is also important to consider other factors that can affect the actual RPM, such as air resistance and friction.

Can this calculation be used for any type of motor and propeller?

Yes, the formula for calculating propeller RPM from motor no load RPM can be used for any type of motor and propeller as long as the input values are accurate and the other influencing factors are taken into account.

Are there any online tools or calculators available for this calculation?

Yes, there are several online tools and calculators that can help you calculate propeller RPM from motor no load RPM. These tools can be found on websites of motor and propeller manufacturers or on general engineering and aviation websites.