1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the missing displacement (vectors)?

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

After three days of hiking, a group of hikers are 30km N from their starting position. On the first day, they hiked 20km E. On the second day, they hiked 30km 53 degrees N of W, calculate their displacement on the third day.
    2. Relevant equations

I haven't a single clue

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2012 #2
    Hi marbille9, welcome to PF.

Start by drawing the vector diagram out...The final displacement is the vectorial sum of their displacements on each day.

4. Jul 3, 2012 #3
    30km N is the resultant vector. But I don't kow how to find the displacement on the third day.

5. Jul 3, 2012 #4
    Well, the displacements in the north-south direction don't effect the displacements in east-west direction. Sum the individual displacements in each direction (i.e NS, and WE) and equate the NS to 30, and the WE sum to 0....

PS : You need to show some more work, so that you can be helped better :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook