Calculating Distance Covered by a Particle Using Displacement Vector

In summary: I think you want to investigate the area under a curve. The curve in this case is one dimensional (lies along a straight line), can you think of a way to sum up the area over time?Hope this helps.Regards,Buzz
Nader AbdlGhani

Homework Statement

The displacement vector of a particle of mass 50 gm. is given as a function in time (t) by the relation ##\vec S##=(5t-t2) ##\hat c## where ##\hat c## is a constant unit vector , s is measured in centimetre and t in second .Knowing that the particle started its motion at t=0
Find :
(1) The force vector acting on the particle and the work done by this force during the first five seconds of motion.
(2) The total distance covered during the first three seconds of motion.

Homework Equations

##w=\vec F \cdot \vec S##
##F=ma##

The Attempt at a Solution

The requirement number (1) is quite easy by differentiating vector s with respect to time 2 times we get the acceleration vector and we already have the mass , so we can get the force easily, but the problem is in getting the total distance covered , in my best attempt , I could only get the maximum displacement by differentiating vector s with respect to time and equal it with zero we will get 5-2t=0 so displacement is maximum when t=2.5 seconds , what should I do next ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nadar:

What is the displacement at t=0?
What is the displacement at t=3?
How far did it move between t=0 and t=3?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

I think you want to investigate the arc length of a curve. The curve in this case is one dimensional (lies along a straight line), can you think of a way to sum up the distance over time?

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Nadar:

What is the displacement at t=0?
What is the displacement at t=3?
How far did it move between t=0 and t=3?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz
Thanks , The problem is with the distance not the displacement .

gneill said:
I think you want to investigate the arc length of a curve. The curve in this case is one dimensional (lies along a straight line), can you think of a way to sum up the distance over time?
Nope .

1. What is the definition of "Total distance covered"?

The total distance covered refers to the overall distance traveled by an object or person over a specific period of time. It takes into account any changes in direction or speed during the journey.

2. How is the total distance covered calculated?

The total distance covered is calculated by adding up all the individual distances traveled during a journey. This can be done by using a measuring tool, such as a ruler or tape measure, or by using mathematical equations based on speed and time.

3. What are some real-life examples of "Total distance covered"?

Examples of total distance covered include the distance traveled by a car during a road trip, the distance traveled by a runner during a marathon, or the distance traveled by a plane during a flight.

4. What is the difference between "Total distance covered" and "Displacement"?

The total distance covered takes into account all the changes in direction and speed during a journey, while displacement only measures the straight-line distance between the starting and ending points. Displacement is often used in physics to calculate the net change in position of an object.

5. How can "Total distance covered" be used in scientific research?

"Total distance covered" can be used in various scientific research studies, such as in sports science to track the distance covered by athletes during training or competition, in ecology to study the movement patterns of animals, or in transportation engineering to analyze traffic flow and efficiency.