How to get an egg into a bottle

• Thread starter Simon Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary, a common misconception is that burning oxygen creates a vacuum, when in reality it is the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the bottle that causes the egg to be pushed in. To dispel this myth, a lesson plan could involve doing the experiment with a warm bottle and observing that the egg does not get sucked in, as well as discussing any other factors that may contribute to the effect.
Simon Lee
Hi
I have a quick question for you, how do you get an egg into a bottle?
I am finishing my teaching training and am researching misconceptions in science.
One that particularly interests me is reported differently in textbooks and web sites etc.

Allow me to set the scene:

1. Hard boiled egg - shell removed.
2. Conical flask or glass bottle - neck narrower than egg.
3. Boiling water or burning candle - to go into bottle.

Could you please tell me your theories on how the egg is then 'sucked' into the bottle.
Then you can give me you researched answer.
But first I need your honest theory.

Many Kind Regards
Simon

Physics news on Phys.org
candle uses oxgen creating a vacuum effect on the egg?

t_n_p said:
candle uses oxgen creating a vacuum effect on the egg?

x2, the egg creates a seal, the candle uses up the oxgen which creates a lower pressure, the higher pressure outside pushes on the egg.

Using up the oxygen is not a viable answer. Think of what is happening to the air inside the flask and the function of the egg.

Burning oxygen create exactly as much CO2 as it used O2.
It's amazing how often the burning candle sucking up water into a jar experiment is done to prove the amount of oxygen.

Creation of Vacuum Is the Answer

I've never put an egg into a bottle. If it works, it has to be by creation of a partial vacuum inside the bottle. The heat will drive out some of the air in the bottle either before the egg is placed upon it or else aftterward, if the egg-bottle seal allows one way air movement outward. Then when the air inside cools it will have less than atmospheric pressure, and whamo, the egg is pushed into the botlle by the pressurre diiference.

Last edited:
Ding, ding, ding! The egg sitting on the lip of the flask acts like a check valve, and as the candle heats the air, it allows the expanding air to escape. Once the candle has burned enough oxygen so that the air in the flask no longer supports combustion, the flame goes out, and the air in the flask cools, reducing the air pressure in the flask. The higher atmospheric pressure outside the flask pushes the egg into the flask.

Simon Lee said:
Hi
I have a quick question for you, how do you get an egg into a bottle?

Assume that you are inside the bottle. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your participation.
It is amazing how often people (including myself) think that burning oxygen creates a vacuum.
But as mgb pointed out, burning the candle produces CO2, that is why it is good to do the experiment with boiling water, as it heats the air inside and expands, then as it cools the air pressure inside the flask/bottle reduces below the outside levels. Then 'PLOP' in she goes.

Many Happy Regards
Simon Lee from inside the bottle.

Simon Lee said:
But as mgb pointed out, burning the candle produces CO2, that is why it is good to do the experiment with boiling water, as it heats ...

I think there might be some reactants that react with oxygen to produce some solid, and so they can create vacuum.
So, I think this is not really a physics problem.

P.S. solving this mathematically is the best way though!

Does the candle has to be inside the bottle? If not, then I'd suggest heating the air in the bottle simply by heating the bottle. If we disregard the various adverse effects of having a red-glowing bottle in contact with an egg or our skin, placing the bottle above the candle so as to heat it to as high a temperature as possible, removing the candle, placing the egg on top of the bottle while the bottle itself and the air now trapped inside cools down, should do wonders.

By having the candle outside the bottle, much higher temperatures can be achieved, and thus a much better vacuum is created during cooling.

In all fairness, everyone got the physics part of the question right, though some were more hand wavy than others. The combustion part is a chemical side note.

Nesk said:
Does the candle has to be inside the bottle? If not, then I'd suggest heating the air in the bottle simply by heating the bottle. If we disregard the various adverse effects of having a red-glowing bottle in contact with an egg or our skin, placing the bottle above the candle so as to heat it to as high a temperature as possible, removing the candle, placing the egg on top of the bottle while the bottle itself and the air now trapped inside cools down, should do wonders.

By having the candle outside the bottle, much higher temperatures can be achieved, and thus a much better vacuum is created during cooling.

Thanks for the tip, I have not heard that idea before.
However the misconception is that you create a vacuum, when it comes down more to air pressure.
If anyone has a detailed explanation could they please attach it. I will be doing detailed lesson plans to dispell the myth in class.

Thanks again to all who have responded.
Simon.

Any Ideas for lesson plans to dispell the misconception?
Cheers Simon

Do the experiment as a demonstration or practical depending on the maturity of the students. Gather some ideas from the class as to why this is happening.

Then you bring in another 2 bottles, both with candles and eggs.

Do the experiment simultaneously as normal, BUT, keep one of the bottles warm, and it shouldn't suck the egg in. Then ask the class to find the difference. It should be pretty obvious to them from this second demonstration.

Make sure you experiment by yourself beforehand. Nothing cooler than stuffing up.

Thanks great idea.

I've always wondered if condensation of water vapor from the burning process might have as much to do with the sucking as the thermal effect. Would you do that and let me know what happens?

Dick said:
I've always wondered if condensation of water vapor from the burning process might have as much to do with the sucking as the thermal effect. Would you do that and let me know what happens?
Assuming a solid fuel with negligible volume.
CxHy + O2 -> H2O + CO2

You create one mole of CO2 for each mole of O2 used
The ratio of C and H in the fuel depends on the particular hydrocarbon but in longer chains it is going to approach 1 so you use a quarter as much O2 to create H2O.
This uses up O2 gas and creates H2O liquid so it does reduce the volume.

It's a space-time thing... right?

J77 said:
It's a space-time thing... right?

Well...

Time is just an invention to sell clocks...

And space is just a vacuum...

WHY IS IT SO?

1. How does an egg get into a bottle?

An egg can get into a bottle by creating a vacuum inside the bottle. When the air pressure inside the bottle is lower than the air pressure outside, the egg will be pushed inside the bottle.

2. What materials do I need to get an egg into a bottle?

You will need an egg, a glass bottle with a small opening, a piece of paper, and a match or lighter.

3. What is the process for getting an egg into a bottle?

The process for getting an egg into a bottle involves heating the air inside the bottle with a match or lighter, then quickly placing the egg on top of the bottle. As the air inside the bottle cools down, it creates a vacuum and pulls the egg inside.

4. Can any type of egg be used to get into a bottle?

Yes, any type of egg can be used as long as it fits through the opening of the bottle.

5. Can the egg be removed from the bottle after it has been placed inside?

Yes, the egg can be removed from the bottle by shaking the bottle until the egg falls out or by using a piece of string to pull the egg out.