Proving the Implication of p and (p -> q) to q without Truth Tables

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter member 587159
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    laws logic proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
member 587159
Hello everyone!

I want to proof that:

##p \land (p \to q) \Rightarrow q##

I know this is a quite trivial problem using truth tables, however, I want to do it without it. As I'm learning this myself, is this the correct approach?

##p \land (p \to q)##
##\iff p\land (\neg p \lor q)##
##\iff (p \land \neg p) \lor (p \land q)## (distributive law)
Now, ##p \land \neg p## is a contradiction (see the questions below)
##\iff (p \land q)##

Now, it is clear, that ##p \land q \Rightarrow q##

Also, I have some additional questions.

1) Suppose there is a contradiction (or tautology) r. Can we always say then, that:
##r \lor p \iff p##
2) Suppose there is a contradiction r. Can we always say then, that:
##r \land p## is a contradiction?
3) Suppose there is a tautology r. Can we always say then, that:
##r \land p \iff p##

Thanks in advance.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: robertisakov
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. How one proves that depends on what system of logical axioms and rules of inference one is using.

If one is not using truth tables, one uses axioms and rules of inference. Two well known systems are (a) the Hilbert System and (b) Natural Deduction. Each has a set of axioms and rules of inference that are used to deduce tautologies and, given a set of non-logical axioms A, to deduce theorems of the theory T that is generated by A.

For instance your first challenge ##(p\wedge (p\to q)\to q)## is pretty close to the rule of inference known as Modus Ponens, which is in both (a) and (b).

Here is a list of rules that can be used in (b)
The rules of (a) are set out in this article.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 587159
andrewkirk said:
Hello. How one proves that depends on what system of logical axioms and rules of inference one is using.

If one is not using truth tables, one uses axioms and rules of inference. Two well known systems are (a) the Hilbert System and (b) Natural Deduction. Each has a set of axioms and rules of inference that are used to deduce tautologies and, given a set of non-logical axioms A, to deduce theorems of the theory T that is generated by A.

For instance your first challenge ##(p\wedge (p\to q)\to q)## is pretty close to the rule of inference known as Modus Ponens, which is in both (a) and (b).

Here is a list of rules that can be used in (b)
The rules of (a) are set out in this article.

I suppose I'm using natural deduction. Could you maybe look at the additional questions?
 
Math_QED said:
I suppose I'm using natural deduction. Could you maybe look at the additional questions?
Those three items you've quoted in your additional questions are all valid theorems of classical logic. How they are proven depends on what axioms one starts with.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 587159