Proving the Implication of p and (p -> q) to q without Truth Tables

The first one is a special case of the second one and the third one is a special case of the first one.
member 587159
Hello everyone!

I want to proof that:

##p \land (p \to q) \Rightarrow q##

I know this is a quite trivial problem using truth tables, however, I want to do it without it. As I'm learning this myself, is this the correct approach?

##p \land (p \to q)##
##\iff p\land (\neg p \lor q)##
##\iff (p \land \neg p) \lor (p \land q)## (distributive law)
Now, ##p \land \neg p## is a contradiction (see the questions below)
##\iff (p \land q)##

Now, it is clear, that ##p \land q \Rightarrow q##

Also, I have some additional questions.

1) Suppose there is a contradiction (or tautology) r. Can we always say then, that:
##r \lor p \iff p##
2) Suppose there is a contradiction r. Can we always say then, that:
##r \land p## is a contradiction?
3) Suppose there is a tautology r. Can we always say then, that:
##r \land p \iff p##

Thanks in advance.

Likes robertisakov
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. How one proves that depends on what system of logical axioms and rules of inference one is using.

If one is not using truth tables, one uses axioms and rules of inference. Two well known systems are (a) the Hilbert System and (b) Natural Deduction. Each has a set of axioms and rules of inference that are used to deduce tautologies and, given a set of non-logical axioms A, to deduce theorems of the theory T that is generated by A.

For instance your first challenge ##(p\wedge (p\to q)\to q)## is pretty close to the rule of inference known as Modus Ponens, which is in both (a) and (b).

Here is a list of rules that can be used in (b)
The rules of (a) are set out in this article.

Likes member 587159
andrewkirk said:
Hello. How one proves that depends on what system of logical axioms and rules of inference one is using.

If one is not using truth tables, one uses axioms and rules of inference. Two well known systems are (a) the Hilbert System and (b) Natural Deduction. Each has a set of axioms and rules of inference that are used to deduce tautologies and, given a set of non-logical axioms A, to deduce theorems of the theory T that is generated by A.

For instance your first challenge ##(p\wedge (p\to q)\to q)## is pretty close to the rule of inference known as Modus Ponens, which is in both (a) and (b).

Here is a list of rules that can be used in (b)
The rules of (a) are set out in this article.

I suppose I'm using natural deduction. Could you maybe look at the additional questions?

Math_QED said:
I suppose I'm using natural deduction. Could you maybe look at the additional questions?
Those three items you've quoted in your additional questions are all valid theorems of classical logic. How they are proven depends on what axioms one starts with.

Likes member 587159

1. What is the implication of p and (p -> q) to q?

The implication of p and (p -> q) to q is a logical statement that shows the relationship between three propositions, p, q, and (p -> q). It states that if both p and (p -> q) are true, then q must also be true.

2. Why is it important to prove the implication of p and (p -> q) to q?

Proving the implication of p and (p -> q) to q is important in order to validate the logical reasoning behind a statement or argument. It helps to ensure that the conclusion is indeed a logical consequence of the given premises.

3. What is the significance of proving the implication of p and (p -> q) to q in scientific research?

In scientific research, proving the implication of p and (p -> q) to q is crucial in drawing valid conclusions and making accurate predictions based on data and evidence. It allows scientists to establish causal relationships and test hypotheses.

4. Can the implication of p and (p -> q) to q be proven without using truth tables?

Yes, the implication of p and (p -> q) to q can be proven using other methods such as logical equivalences, proofs by contradiction, or truth trees. These methods are often more efficient and practical in real-world applications compared to using truth tables.

5. How can one effectively prove the implication of p and (p -> q) to q?

To effectively prove the implication of p and (p -> q) to q, one must carefully analyze the given propositions and use logical reasoning to arrive at a valid conclusion. It is also important to have a clear understanding of logical equivalences and other proof techniques in order to construct a solid argument.