How to go from being a physicist to be a mechanical engineer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of transitioning from a physics bachelor's degree to a career in mechanical engineering. The members of the conversation offer their opinions and experiences, with some suggesting that a master's degree or certification in mechanical engineering may be beneficial. Others mention the potential for physics graduates to find amazing jobs and advise being prepared to showcase a passion for engineering in job interviews. The conversation concludes with a member expressing their interest in hearing about specific examples of physics graduates finding success in engineering careers.
bad_physicist
hello all, I am a new here. I just graduated as a physicist. I know that my bachelor on physics will not give me a good job, I am thinking to go from being physicist to be a mechanical engineer. Is that easy? does anyone tried that? what courses do I have to take? and the most important, is this a good choice?

any opinion is appreciated, thank you all

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Of course you realize you have to do a course in mechanical engineering.
The college course usually has a physics requirement which you have already passed, and you already have a lot of the skills you need, so it will be easier for you than starting fresh.

I did it in the other direction - but before finishing the engineering degree.

bad_physicist said:
hello all, I am a new here. I just graduated as a physicist. I know that my bachelor on physics will not give me a good job, I am thinking to go from being physicist to be a mechanical engineer. Is that easy? does anyone tried that? what courses do I have to take? and the most important, is this a good choice?

any opinion is appreciated, thank you all

Yes, this is a good choice. Especially, if you want a highly salaried job. You may take master degree in mechanical engineering. Also you may give exams for certification in mechanical engineering. Because many companies request certified engineers.

Thank you all

anjelin said:
You may take master degree in mechanical engineering.certified .

I liked this idea

There are many amazing jobs for physics Bachelors. Most of them won't be about inventing the new revolutionizing theory of everything, but finding something amazing with "just a physics bachelors" is not at all impossible.

In the last 35 years I've had many engineering coworkers who made the transition simply by applying for an engineering job. Just be ready in the interview to give them good reason to believe that you have a high interest and passion for the type of work they want you to do.

Wayn3 said:
There are many amazing jobs for physics Bachelors. Most of them won't be about inventing the new revolutionizing theory of everything, but finding something amazing with "just a physics bachelors" is not at all impossible.

Thank you for the motivation you just give:smile:. But do you have on your mind any of such amazing things that physicists may find :confused:?

Pkruse said:
In the last 35 years I've had many engineering coworkers who made the transition simply by applying for an engineering job. Just be ready in the interview to give them good reason to believe that you have a high interest and passion for the type of work they want you to do.

You mean physicists coworkers?

thank you for your advice

I mean people employed as engineers, but with a physics education.

:cool:cooooooooooool:cool:

1. How can I transition from being a physicist to a mechanical engineer?

The first step in transitioning from a physicist to a mechanical engineer is to gain a strong understanding of engineering principles and concepts. This can be achieved through coursework, self-study, or a combination of both. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research projects can help bridge the gap between the two fields. It is also important to network with professionals in the mechanical engineering field to gain insights and advice on the transition process.

2. Do I need to go back to school to become a mechanical engineer?

It is not necessary to go back to school for a full degree in mechanical engineering, but taking relevant courses can be beneficial. Many universities offer certificate programs or individual courses that can provide the necessary knowledge and skills for a career in mechanical engineering. Additionally, some employers may offer on-the-job training or professional development opportunities for physicists looking to transition into mechanical engineering.

3. What skills from my physics background are transferable to mechanical engineering?

There are several skills from a physics background that can be applied to mechanical engineering. These include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a deep understanding of mathematical concepts, and the ability to think critically and creatively. Additionally, physicists often have experience with computer programming and data analysis, which are essential skills in mechanical engineering.

4. Will my salary be affected by transitioning from a physicist to a mechanical engineer?

It is difficult to determine how transitioning from a physicist to a mechanical engineer will affect your salary, as it can vary depending on several factors such as location, industry, and experience. However, mechanical engineering is generally a well-paid field, and with the right skills and experience, it is possible to achieve a similar or higher salary than that of a physicist.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of mechanical engineering with a physics background?

Yes, it is possible to specialize in a specific area of mechanical engineering with a physics background. Many physicists have a strong foundation in areas such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and materials science, which are all relevant to different specializations within mechanical engineering. It may require additional coursework or training, but with determination and a clear goal, it is possible to pursue a specialized career in mechanical engineering.