Shifting from Mechanical Engineer to Aerospace Engineer

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transitioning from mechanical engineering to aerospace engineering, specifically in the field of propulsion. The speaker, who has a background in mechanical engineering and mathematics, is currently working in an aerospace company but wants to be more involved in design and propulsion. The conversation suggests checking the company's job board and discussing with the desired manager to determine the necessary qualifications and requirements for a position in propulsion engineering.
dsaun777
Hello,
Has anyone here started out as a mechanical engineer and shifted to an aerospace engineer? How necessary is an aerospace engineering degree to get into that field? What are some of the barriers that would exist for a mechanical engineer and how would you best get into that field? I am interested in propulsion. I work for an aerospace company but more on the manufacturing, process, and some mechanical engineering side of things, and would like to be more involved in design and propulsion.

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like you answered and rendered moot your own question, so I'm confused.

1. You know aerospace companies employ more than just AEs.

2. You're already "in".

You didn't exactly say what your qualifications are, but in your shoes I'd check my company's job board to see if you're qualified for any jobs you like. If not, if you close enough to fix it with some more education.

Likes Vanadium 50 and gmax137
russ_watters said:
I feel like you answered and rendered moot your own question, so I'm confused.

1. You know aerospace companies employ more than just AEs.

2. You're already "in".

You didn't exactly say what your qualifications are, but in your shoes I'd check my company's job board to see if you're qualified for any jobs you like. If not, if you close enough to fix it with some more education.
My qualifications are a master's in mechanical and a bachelor's in mathematics. I am filling in the gaps as I go. I guess my question would be more about getting into propulsion engineering. I heard it can be very competitive and might require a PhD.

I am as confused a Russ. It doesn't sound like you want another jobl it sounds like you want another assignment. And the place to start would be the manager you hope to work for - what is he looking for?

Likes DeBangis21 and russ_watters

1. What skills do I need to transition from a mechanical engineer to an aerospace engineer?

The skills required for a successful transition from mechanical engineer to aerospace engineer will vary depending on your specific role and responsibilities. However, some essential skills that are transferable between the two fields include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software. Additionally, a solid understanding of mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science is crucial in both mechanical and aerospace engineering.

2. Can I make the transition without a background in aerospace engineering?

Yes, it is possible to make the transition from mechanical engineer to aerospace engineer without a background in aerospace engineering. Many companies offer on-the-job training and development programs for engineers looking to switch fields. Additionally, you can also pursue further education by taking courses or obtaining a degree in aerospace engineering to strengthen your skills and knowledge in the field.

3. What are the main differences between mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering?

While there are many similarities between these two fields, there are also significant differences. Mechanical engineering primarily deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as engines, machines, and tools. Aerospace engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft, including propulsion systems, navigation systems, and aerodynamics. Aerospace engineers also have to consider the unique challenges and environments of flight, such as high speeds, extreme temperatures, and high-altitude conditions.

4. What job opportunities are available for aerospace engineers?

Aerospace engineers can find job opportunities in various industries, including commercial and military aircraft, spacecraft and satellite manufacturing, and research and development. Some common roles for aerospace engineers include design engineer, systems engineer, propulsion engineer, and structural engineer. Additionally, there are opportunities for aerospace engineers in government agencies such as NASA and the Department of Defense, as well as in consulting and engineering firms.

5. What can I expect in terms of salary and career growth as an aerospace engineer?

The salary and career growth potential for aerospace engineers vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for aerospace engineers in May 2020 was $118,610. As you gain experience and take on more responsibilities, you can expect to see an increase in salary and opportunities for career advancement, such as becoming a lead engineer or project manager. Additionally, with the continuous advancements in technology and the increasing demand for air and space travel, the field of aerospace engineering is expected to continue growing, providing excellent opportunities for career growth.