How to improve critical thinking and awareness

In summary, the student's problem is that he can't keep track of what he's been told, and he tends to forget what he's learned.
weirdlycool
I'm studying physics, and I've covered calculus and general physics.

My problem is:
-My critical thinking is really not good.
-Whenever someone is asking me about say, object A, I would answer something that is not related to object A (I'm not aware of it until that person tell me that I haven't answered his question/ I'm out of the topic).
-I tend to forget the things I've learned in say, two weeks time.
-Typical problems of poor students

Do anyone know what my problem is? I'm not sure if this is just the common problem i.e. lack of focus or awareness. I feel that I'm focused in what I'm doing but still, somebody would tell me that I'm not in focus, etc. Can somebody recommend me a book or any tips on how to resolve and improve my skills? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
weirdlycool said:
I'm studying physics, and I've covered calculus and general physics.

My problem is:
-My critical thinking is really not good.
-Whenever someone is asking me about say, object A, I would answer something that is not related to object A (I'm not aware of it until that person tell me that I haven't answered his question/ I'm out of the topic).
Maybe you're answering too soon; i.e., answering before thinking about what actually was asked. This is probably related to your first point, about critical thinking.
weirdlycool said:
-I tend to forget the things I've learned in say, two weeks time.
The fix for this is to go back and review the earlier topics. Doing something once is probably not enough to get the procedure firmly fixed in your mind.
weirdlycool said:
-Typical problems of poor students
Such as? Please elaborate
weirdlycool said:
Do anyone know what my problem is? I'm not sure if this is just the common problem i.e. lack of focus or awareness. I feel that I'm focused in what I'm doing but still, somebody would tell me that I'm not in focus, etc. Can somebody recommend me a book or any tips on how to resolve and improve my skills? Thanks.

weirdlycool said:
Whenever someone is asking me about say, object A, I would answer something that is not related to object A (I'm not aware of it until that person tell me that I haven't answered his question/ I'm out of the topic).

Too general. Can you give us a very specific example?

Mark44 said:
Maybe you're answering too soon; i.e., answering before thinking about what actually was asked. This is probably related to your first point, about critical thinking.
The fix for this is to go back and review the earlier topics. Doing something once is probably not enough to get the procedure firmly fixed in your mind.
Such as? Please elaborate
What i mean by typical problems of students are maybe out of focus, can't take up the problems very well and sometimes I tend forget what was just said by my professor. What do you think I should do?

micromass said:
Too general. Can you give us a very specific example?

For example, in the topic of spatial translation, given the translation operator T(α) and suppose I want to translate by a finite distance α, but finite translations can just be derived from infinitesimal translations ε. So we can construct α in the context of ε. T(α) = (T(α/N))^N as N→∞.
The professor asked me, if α is how much I want to translate and I wrote α/N as the infinitesimal rotation, how many times should I move to reach α? I answered α even though clearly it should be N so that (α/N)N, the N's cancel. These basic stuff that is already obvious, I still can't understand why I'm making those mistakes, at that time I'm sure that I'm correct but after some time when the professor keeps showing me the obvious and somehow the correct answer that is the time I will sort of realize that I'm wrong but still need time to realize the answer. I don't know what is wrong with me.

1. How can I become a better critical thinker?

Critical thinking is a skill that can be developed with practice. To become a better critical thinker, it is important to actively engage in analytical and logical thinking. This can include questioning assumptions, evaluating evidence, and considering different perspectives. It is also helpful to continuously seek out new information and challenge your own beliefs and biases.

2. What are some strategies for improving critical thinking?

Some strategies for improving critical thinking include practicing active listening, asking open-ended questions, and learning how to identify logical fallacies. It is also helpful to seek out diverse sources of information and to regularly engage in debates and discussions with others who may have different viewpoints.

3. How can critical thinking enhance awareness?

Critical thinking can enhance awareness by allowing individuals to think more deeply and critically about their own thoughts and beliefs, as well as the information and ideas presented to them. This can help individuals to better understand complex issues and perspectives, and to make more informed decisions.

4. How can I apply critical thinking in my daily life?

Critical thinking can be applied in various aspects of daily life, such as in problem-solving, decision-making, and communication. By actively using critical thinking skills, individuals can better assess situations, make more sound judgments, and effectively communicate their thoughts and ideas with others.

5. Can critical thinking be taught?

Yes, critical thinking can be taught and developed through practice and education. While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards critical thinking, it is a skill that can be learned and improved upon over time. Educational institutions often incorporate critical thinking into their curricula to help students develop this important skill.