Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to inquire abt changing thread location?

1. Apr 17, 2006 #1

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you believe a thread would be a better fit under another topic but
    cannot reach the moderator (pm mailbox full), what is the recommended procedure?

It was once suggested I use the [report bad post] button to quickly get a moderator or mentor's attention, but it seems that button is used only for unique circumstances. (see quote below)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I also have come across this problem, I just left the post and it found its way into the correct forum. I think it must take the moderators a while to spot a post in the wrong section. (No disrespect to the mods, they just have alot of work)

4. Apr 17, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Feel free to use the "report a bad post" button. In the notes, just state which forum you think the thread belongs in.

5. Apr 17, 2006 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you think that the thread is grossly misplaced, feel free to bring it to our attention through the report bad post. I think most of us check there first when we log on.

So long as it isn't abused, it's fine.

6. Apr 18, 2006 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If one Mentor's PM box is full then try any other Mentor. We can all move threads to and from anywhere on the site.

7. Apr 18, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just as an added note to that, your best bet is to first try either a mentor for the forum the post resides within or a mentor for the forum you think it should be moved to as your first choices.

8. Apr 18, 2006 #7

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for the excellent suggestions !! :smile:

9. Apr 18, 2006 #8

russ_watters

It might be a good idea to reword that - we definitely don't want to discourage reporting posts for any reason. Basically, any reason why you think we should have a look at a post besides 'help, no one has answered my question' is a legitimate reason to report a post.

FYI, the whole forum only gets on the order of 5-10 reported posts a day.

10. Apr 18, 2006 #9

Evo

I think the "report a post" is the best option. I may not be around for awhile if you pm me. When it's reported, all mentors can see it and take action, if necessary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?