How to integrate cos√x using substitution and integration by parts

  • Thread starter Thread starter EV33
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
EV33
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Integral of cos√x



We are supposed to use substitution and integration by parts but I really don't know where to even start.



No matter what I substitute for U I will be left without a du.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
what are your limits of integration?...what does your integral become when you use the substitution u=sqrt(x)? What is du?
 
There are no limits it is indefinite. If you let U= √x then du= 1/2√x and that is my problem because I am left with with integral of cos(u) and no du.
 
doesn't [itex]du=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}dx[/itex] and doesn't that mean that [itex]dx=2 \sqrt{x} du= 2udu[/itex]?
 
Yes it does. So does that mean when I integrate I get u^2 sinu and from there I just need to back substitute?
 
Well, that means that

[itex]\int cos(\sqrt{x})dx= \int 2ucos(u)du[/itex]

now you'll need to integrate by-parts...try using f(u)=2u and g'(u)=cos(u)du