1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to interpret advection (v.del) v->v.(del v)

1. Jul 7, 2010 #1
    I'm looking @ convective accerlation term in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navier_stokes_equation#Convective_acceleration. I don't understand the terminology. If v is a vector, it says that [tex](\mathbf{v}\cdot\nabla)\mathbf{v}[/tex] can be written as [tex]\mathbf{v}\cdot\nabla \mathbf{v}[/tex]. I thought that [tex]\nabla \mathbf{v}[/tex] is the transpose of the Jacobian matrix for [tex]\mathbf{v}[/tex]. As I'm not familiar with the terminology it almost looks like ([tex]\mathbf{v} \cdot \nabla \mathbf{v}[/tex] = vector . matrix), which can't be right. However, it appears [tex](v\cdot\nabla)v[/tex] is a vector. Can somebody shed some light on how [tex]v\cdot\nabla v[/tex] is a vector? If [tex](\mathbf{v}\cdot\nabla)\mathbf{v}=\mathbf{v}\cdot\nabla \mathbf{v}[/tex] & [tex]\nabla \mathbf{v} = (\mathbf{J}\mathbf{v})^T[/tex]. I'm sure I'm mutilating the terminology, if anybody could shed light on this, much appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2010 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In index notation, we have:
    [tex]\vec{v}\cdot\nabla=\sum_{j=1}^{3}v_{j}\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}_{j}}[/tex]
    where the indices ought to be fairly self-evident.
    Usually, we just omit the summation symbol, writing [tex]v_{j}\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}_{j}}[/tex] instead.

Setting this alongside a vector [itex]v_{i}[/itex] then, we have:
    [tex](\vec{v}\cdot\nabla)\vec{v}=(v_{j}\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}_{j}})v_{i}=v_{j}\frac{\partial{v}_{i}}{\partial{x}_{j}}[/tex]

The quantity [tex]\frac{\partial{v}_{i}}{\partial{x}_{j}}[/tex] is a matrix

4. Jul 7, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your reply, I've seen that as well the (v.del) makes alot more sense. I know (v.del)v should equal v.del(v), but I'm curious how can I come to same result starting with v.del(v) which to me looks like a vector.matrix.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook