Larger assignment on Vector Fields

In summary, the conversation is about a person doing an assignment on vector fields and using tensors and tensor notation. They ask for clarification on expressing vector and matrix products in tensor notation and their results so far. They also have questions about expressing certain equations in tensor notation and share their confusion about the use of bars for vectors and matrices. They later explain their mistake and clarify their notation.
MarkBrezina
TL;DR Summary
I have a series of assignment questions on Vectorfields and I'd love some feedback on whether I'm doing it properly
Dear everyone.

I'm doing an assignment on vectorfields and for most of the assignment I have to deal with tensors and tensornotation.

The first assignment asks me to express the following vector and matrixproducts in tensornotation.
$$\overline c = \overline a + \overline b \\ d=(\overline a + \overline b) \cdot \overline c \\ \overline c = \bar{\bar a}\bar b $$ Which I've written as $$c_i=a_i+b_i \\ d = (a_i+b_i)c_i=c_i^2 \\ c_i=a_{ij} b_i$$

Those are my current results in tensornotation, please do enlighten me on any wrongs. As I was also for a short period confused on whether ##\bar{\bar a}## was actually meant as a matrix or a vector.Furthermore I have to calculate ##\delta_{ii}##, which I've gotten to 3
How do I show this best?

I also have to express ##\nabla \phi## and ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{v}## in tensornotation.
Which I've gotten to be ##\nabla \phi = \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x_i} e_i=\phi_i e_i## and ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{v} = \nabla_i \mathbf{v}_i = \frac{\partial v_i}{\partial x_i} ##

And at the end I have to express the following in tensornotation.
##\frac{\partial x_1}{\partial x_1} =1 , \frac{\partial x_1}{\partial x_2} =0 , \frac{\partial x_1}{\partial x_3} =0 ## thereby producing the kronecker delta as a series of differentials in the indices i for ##x_i## and j for ##d_j## I've tried writing the following, but I'm near 100% certain it might be wrong

##\delta_{ij}=\partial_j x_i##

Please do share comments, feedback, critic and much more. I'm eager to learn

Physics news on Phys.org
What do the bars mean? If you want to write tensor products, then you have to start with tensors, neither with vectors nor with matrices. This means a vector is written ##v=\sum_k v_k \vec{e}_k## and a matrix ##M=\sum_{p,q} M_{pq} \vec{e}_p \otimes \vec{e}_q ## with some basis ##\{\,\vec{e}_i\,\}## of ##V##.

Likes MarkBrezina
I agree Fresh. I'm guessing it's because it's common in Denmark to use bars over ordinary letters ##\bar a## to represent vectors. This is also why it confuses me not to see a boldface ##\mathbf{A}## matrix but I instead see a ##\bar{\bar a}## which might be a matrix.

Assuming the above were vectors and matrices I'd end up with the same results

I've changed all my assignment replies from usage of ##\bar v## to ##\mathbf{v}=\sum_k v_k \mathbf{e}_k##

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector to each point in a given space. This vector represents the magnitude and direction of a certain physical quantity, such as velocity, force, or electric field, at that point.

2. How are vector fields represented?

Vector fields can be represented graphically using arrows or lines to depict the magnitude and direction of the vector at each point. They can also be represented mathematically using equations or functions that describe the vector at any given point in the space.

3. What are some real-life applications of vector fields?

Vector fields have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to model and analyze fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and gravitational fields. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic motion and effects.

4. How are vector fields useful in scientific research?

Vector fields provide a visual and mathematical representation of complex physical phenomena, making it easier for scientists to understand and analyze them. They also allow for the prediction and simulation of these phenomena, aiding in the development of new technologies and solutions.

5. What are some important properties of vector fields?

Some important properties of vector fields include continuity, differentiability, and divergence. Continuity means that the vector field is smooth and has no sudden changes. Differentiability means that the vector field can be described by a differentiable function. Divergence measures the rate of flow of the vector field and can indicate the presence of sources or sinks in the field.