Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make thick line error bar for plot

1. Apr 1, 2016 #1
    Disclaimer: I'm not exactly sure that this topic would belong in this thread but I don't think it would fit better anywhere else.

I'm working on writing a paper for my grad research project and my PI wants me to model the plots after another paper that our lab published in the past, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how they got such nice looking error bars in their paper.

Here's a link to the pdf for that paper: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1308/1308.3039.pdf
    The plot I'm referring to with the nice error bars is Figure 4 on page 15. The error bars are shown as a thick transparent line behind each curve. I was trying to see if excel has any way of doing something like that, which would be most convenient because I already have all of my data in an excel file, and it's a crapload of data. I get the feeling though, that they may have done it in Matlab, but if they did I would have no idea how to do that. I'm not much of a Matlab wiz to be honest.

If anybody has any ideas that would be really helpful! Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2016 #2

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The error bars on Excel do not look like the error bars the the paper you linked to, but this is how you can do it:

click chart >> chart tools >> design >> add chart element >> error bars

Under "more bar options" you can make it look the way you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted