How to manually write the code for a matlab delta function

In summary, the code that you wrote calculates the Dirac delta function. However, the Mathworks website has a more accurate unit impulse function that you can use.
O.J.
that is 0 everywhere and 1 at 0. the code I wrote was this:
n = -20:1:20;
if n==0
imp = 1
else
imp = 0;
end
>> stem (n, imp)
? Error using ==> stem at 40
X must be same length as Y.
but i got that error.

Using vectors and matrices is useless cause the delta function cannot be defined at 0 r negative values... can you please guide me through this?

Physics news on Phys.org
O.J. said:
that is 0 everywhere and 1 at 0. the code I wrote was this:
n = -20:1:20;
if n==0
imp = 1
else
imp = 0;
end
>> stem (n, imp)
? Error using ==> stem at 40
X must be same length as Y.
but i got that error.

Using vectors and matrices is useless cause the delta function cannot be defined at 0 r negative values... can you please guide me through this?
Why not make imp a vector as well?

how to, please a sample code pelase I am not proficient with MATLAB and the way it works but I am trying my best. I just wana see a sample code to get the hang of it...

O.J. said:
how to, please a sample code pelase I am not proficient with MATLAB and the way it works but I am trying my best. I just wana see a sample code to get the hang of it...

I googled MATLAB dirac delta, and got lots of hits. Including one at Mathworks.com

http://www.mathworks.com/access/hel...=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=matlab+delta+function

Does that help? It looks like the Mathworks.com website has lots of resources to help you learn MATLAB.

i can't use the dirac function that comes with MATLAB because I need a modified diract function that is 0 everywhere and ONE at 0. the one that comes with MATLAB is INF at 0.

O.J. said:
i can't use the dirac function that comes with MATLAB because I need a modified diract function that is 0 everywhere and ONE at 0. the one that comes with MATLAB is INF at 0.

And why do you think that is? Their Dirac delta function is mathematically correct.

why or why not they implemented it that way isn't my concern. for dirac to apply to the discrete case it has to have a magnitude of 1 at zero

still doesn't help. that's like the unit step function. I am looking for a function that's 0 everywhere and 1 at 0. is it hard to manually code such a thing?

O.J. said:
still doesn't help. that's like the unit step function. I am looking for a function that's 0 everywhere and 1 at 0. is it hard to manually code such a thing?
I suggest that you look again at the link I gave. Yes, the Heaviside function isn't precisely what you need, but it should give you an idea of how to code it yourself.

Now, I know that it is strictly against the rules to give out complete solutions, but I am of the school that programming is best learned by example. So, I'm going to give you one possible way of defining a unit impulse at the origin.

For example, you could define a new function using a MATLAB file called impulse.m. The contents of such a file would be something like,
Code:
function [value] = impulse(x)
     % This function represents a unit impulse at the origin.
     % impulse(x) = 1 for x = 0 and 0 otherwise

if x = 0
           value = 1;
     else
           value = 0;
     end
For more information on defining custom functions, see the official MATLAB documentation (http://www.mathworks.com/access/hel...ccess/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/function.htm" rather good lecture notes.

I would like to emphasise once again that this is not the Dirac Delta function, but a unit impulse at the origin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matlab function:
function Y = dirac(X)
%DIRAC Delta function.
% DIRAC(X) is zero for all X, except X == 0 where it is infinite.
% DIRAC(X) is not a function in the strict sense, but rather a
% distribution with int(dirac(x-a)*f(x),-inf,inf) = f(a) and
% diff(heaviside(x),x) = dirac(x).
% See also HEAVISIDE.

% Copyright 1993-2003 The MathWorks, Inc.
% $Revision: 1.1.6.1 $ $Date: 2009/03/09 20:41:28 $

Y = zeros(size(X));
Y(X == 0) = Inf;

Do:

function Y = diracOne(X)

Y = zeros(size(X));

Y(X == 0) = 1;

So easy.

I have helped

I forgot one detail. Call the function as follows:

t = 1:10;
diracOne = f (t-2);

And you will have:

f = [0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0];

Good studies

Last edited:

1. What is a delta function?

A delta function is a mathematical concept used in signal processing and calculus. It is defined as a function that is zero everywhere except at one point, where it has an infinite value. In Matlab, it is represented by the dirac() function.

2. How do I write the code for a delta function in Matlab?

The code for a delta function in Matlab is simply dirac(t), where t is the variable or vector that the function is applied to. This will return a value of 0 for all values of t except at t = 0, where it will return an infinite value.

3. How can I plot a delta function in Matlab?

In order to plot a delta function in Matlab, you can use the plot() function along with the dirac() function. For example, to plot a delta function with t values ranging from -5 to 5, you can use the code plot(-5:0.1:5, dirac(-5:0.1:5)).

4. Can I use a delta function in an equation in Matlab?

Yes, you can use a delta function in an equation in Matlab. You can simply use the dirac() function within your equation along with the appropriate variable or vector. For example, f(x) = x*dirac(x) will return a value of 0 for all values of x except at x = 0, where it will return a value of 0.

5. Are there any alternative ways to represent a delta function in Matlab?

Yes, there are alternative ways to represent a delta function in Matlab. One way is to use the delta() function, which is similar to the dirac() function but has a different definition. Another way is to use a Kronecker delta, which can be represented by an array of zeros with a value of 1 at the desired location.