How to mathematically describe this weird set of points?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
7 replies · 4K views
Lotto
Messages
260
Reaction score
16
Homework Statement
I have this set of points defined for ##x , y\in \mathbb Z##. What condtitions do we need to describe it?
Relevant Equations
##|x| \le |y|##
It is clear that one part of the solution is ##|x|\le |y|##, but that is not enough. We need another condition to get rid of some points. How to find it?

I tried to write down some x-values and their y-value and tried to find a pattern, but I didn't see it. Any help?
 
Attachments
  • picture.png
    picture.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 98
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like they are very regular. Are they multiples of some number? If so, do you know how to describe that set?
 
Try writing equations for the lines (include the bounds).
 
Last edited:
You can eliminate a variable by division ##q:=x/y## and write the set as ##\{q\in \mathbb{Q}\,|\,|q|\leq 1\}.## There is no pattern between numerator and denominator except ##|x|\leq |y|.## How else would you describe all rational numbers as less or equal to one? There are really, really many of them.
 
I got it! Writing down equations of some lines was very helpful...
 
Lotto said:
I got it! Writing down equations of some lines was very helpful...
What was your answer? I had to piece logic together:
Let ##4\mathbb{Z} = \{4i : i \in \mathbb{Z}\}##. ##A=\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{Z}\times\mathbb{Z} : (|x|=|y| )\vee (( |x|\lt |y|) \wedge ((x\in 4\mathbb{Z}) \vee (y\in 4\mathbb{Z})))\}##
I think ##A## works as the answer but I would not bet the farm on it.
 
FactChecker said:
What was your answer? I had to piece logic together:
Let ##4\mathbb{Z} = \{4i : i \in \mathbb{Z}\}##. ##A=\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{Z}\times\mathbb{Z} : (|x|=|y| )\vee (( |x|\lt |y|) \wedge ((x\in 4\mathbb{Z}) \vee (y\in 4\mathbb{Z})))\}##
I think ##A## works as the answer but I would not bet the farm on it.
I have it similar, but your solution is more elegant. My is ##(|x| \le |y|) \land ((|x|=|y|) \lor (x \equiv 0 \mod 4) \lor (y \equiv 0 \mod 4))##.
 
Lotto said:
I have it similar, but your solution is more elegant. My is ##(|x| \le |y|) \land ((|x|=|y|) \lor (x \equiv 0 \mod 4) \lor (y \equiv 0 \mod 4))##.
I like yours better.