How to measure the external quantum efficiency of OLEDs?

In summary, the conversation revolves around studying OLEDs and the external quantum efficiency of these devices. The person is searching for information on how to calculate the external efficiency, specifically regarding the solid angle and critical angle. They have been reading articles and searching for documentation but have not found any clear answers. A suggested resource is a Japanese Journal, which the person thanks the other for.
Mr. Johnson
Hello PF,

I am currently studying OLEDs (organic light emitting diodes) and have been reading many articles pertaining to the external quantum efficiency of these devices and the various extraction techniques used. In all of these articles, they state the increase of efficiency but do not state how it calculated.

I have been trying to find documentation that describes the calculation for the external efficiency.

I know that it has to do with a solid angle and critical angle (ITR).

Does anybody have a clue? or know where to guide me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr. Johnson said:
Hello PF,

I am currently studying OLEDs (organic light emitting diodes) and have been reading many articles pertaining to the external quantum efficiency of these devices and the various extraction techniques used. In all of these articles, they state the increase of efficiency but do not state how it calculated.

I have been trying to find documentation that describes the calculation for the external efficiency.

I know that it has to do with a solid angle and critical angle (ITR).

Does anybody have a clue? or know where to guide me?

Thanks

Your answer is in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

Read it.

I have...It says nothing about measuring the EQE.

Mr. Johnson said:
I have...It says nothing about measuring the EQE.

Hii,

Yes you are right. I blindly posted it! :pOk, see this Japanese Journal :

http://jjap.jsap.jp/link?JJAP/43/7733/

Download the PDF.

Last edited:
Ok. Thank you.

1. What is the external quantum efficiency of OLEDs?

The external quantum efficiency (EQE) of OLEDs refers to the percentage of photons that are emitted by the device compared to the number of electrons that pass through it. It is a measure of how efficiently the OLED converts electrical energy into light.

2. How is the external quantum efficiency of OLEDs measured?

The EQE of OLEDs is typically measured using a specialized tool called a spectrometer. This device measures the amount of light emitted by the OLED at various wavelengths, and the EQE can be calculated by comparing this data to the electrical current passing through the device.

3. What factors affect the external quantum efficiency of OLEDs?

The EQE of OLEDs can be affected by a variety of factors, including the materials used in the device, the device structure and design, and external factors such as temperature and humidity. Improvements in these areas can lead to higher EQE values.

4. How does the external quantum efficiency of OLEDs impact their performance?

The EQE of OLEDs is an important measure of their overall performance. A higher EQE means that the OLED is more efficient at converting electrical energy into light, resulting in brighter and more energy-efficient displays. It also affects the device's lifespan and can impact the overall cost of production.

5. Can the external quantum efficiency of OLEDs be improved?

Yes, researchers are constantly working to improve the EQE of OLEDs through advancements in materials, device design, and manufacturing processes. As technology evolves, we can expect to see even higher EQE values in OLED devices.