How to measure the released energy?

In summary, Fermi was able to estimate the yield of the first nuclear explosion by using a formula to calculate the force of the shock wave and observing how far a handful of torn paper was moved. He was able to determine that the yield was approximately 10 kilotons of TNT, which was close to the actual yield of 19 kilotons. Fermi's method of estimation was an order-of-magnitude experiment, and he was able to make his calculations within 40 seconds of the explosion. This demonstrates his expertise in the field of physics and nuclear reactions.
Shing
Hi, guys! I am a high school senior, I would like to ask you a few questions about how to measure the released energy during physics experiments, especially both nuclear reactions.

Also, how could Fermi just know the "yield" just by a handful of torn paper?

As the shock wave hit Base Camp, Aeby saw Enrico Fermi with a handful of torn paper. "He was dribbling it in the air. When the shock wave came it moved the confetti. He thought for a moment."

Fermi had just estimated the yield of the first nuclear explosion. It was in the ball park.[13]

Fermi's strips-of-paper estimate was ten kilotons of TNT; the actual yield was about 19 kilotons

Thanks for your reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well unfortunately there isn't an exact "paper movement" to "yield of an atomic bomb" formula. I'm actually doing a research paper about this right now, so I've sifted a lot of information. The test date there was relatively no wind. My best guess on how he actually calculated this was by some formula on the force of the shock-wave, if he knew how far he was from the blast, and the loss the force would encounter of a distance. With how far the paper traveled he could then determine the shock-wave force at his location. He could then use these numbers to determine the yield. I'm no physics expert but that's how I'd have to say. Fermi was an interesting guy, he claims he invented the first nuclear pile (reactor) while walking down the street. Observers said he didn't stop for any cross-walk lights that day. To put it simply though, he was 50% off, which really isn't that bad for being a nuclear bomb and I've reached 300% error in labs. He's a pretty interesting guy to read about, I'd recommend the books: The making of the atomic bomb - Rhodes. It's quite funny, an observer says Fermi was making bets if the bomb would ignite the atmosphere, and whethere it would destroy New Mexico or the world. I can't imagine being there and having him question these things I'd just be thinking "what did i get myself into?" Well I know I got a little off topic but I hope I answered your question and sparked some interest. The nuclear bomb development is an amazing topic, endless amounts of information.

I actually just found a quote from the book "The making of the atomic bomb" - Rhodes

Fermi had prepared an order-of-magnitude experiment to determine roughly the bomb's yield:"

"About 40 seconds after the explosion the air blast reached me. I tried to estimate its strength by dropping from about six feet small pieces of paper before, during and after the passage of the blast wave. Since, at the time, there was no wind, I could observe very distinctly and actually measure the displacement of the pieces of paper that were in the process of falling while the blast was passing. The shift was about 2.5 meters, which, at the time, I estimated to correspond to the blast that would be produced by ten thousand tons of T.N.T."

Pg. 674

1. How is energy released measured in scientific experiments?

Energy released can be measured using various instruments such as calorimeters, spectrometers, and radiation detectors. These devices measure the amount of heat, light, or radiation produced during a reaction or process.

2. What is the unit of measurement for released energy?

The unit of measurement for released energy is joules (J). Other common units include calories (cal) and electronvolts (eV).

3. How do scientists measure the energy released in chemical reactions?

In chemical reactions, the energy released can be measured using a bomb calorimeter. This device measures the heat released or absorbed during a reaction.

4. Can the released energy of a nuclear reaction be measured?

Yes, the energy released in a nuclear reaction can be measured using a Geiger counter or a scintillation counter. These devices detect the radiation emitted during a nuclear reaction.

5. How accurate are the measurements of released energy?

The accuracy of energy released measurements depends on the instrument used and the conditions of the experiment. Generally, these measurements have a small margin of error and are considered to be very accurate.