How to Merge Chemistry and Physics

In summary, the student is considering a major in either physics or chemistry, but is unsure if they want to focus on one field exclusively or combine the two. They are also interested in pursuing a graduate degree in either physics or chemistry.
Collatz
So I start University in the Fall and I am torn between major choice now..

I basically applied initially for physics, but now I am becoming interested in chemistry once again. So I was wondering if there was a way I could combine the two into one field or specialized study? I've heard of Quantum Chemistry, but is that the only field? Also I will probably attempt[emphasis on attempt] to double major in both and if I happen to find my interest declining in one drop it as a major... but right now I just want to know what could I do.

Help! >.<

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of work do you imagine yourself doing after your degree?

Well I want to go to grad school and after getting my doctorate well...
I hope to work in academia first, but if that doesn't work out i'll fall back on a government job maybe. o.o is that good enough?

Maybe physical chemistry? The phys. chem. textbook's I've looked through remind me more of physics books than chemistry books.

Yes, physical chemistry would be a good choice. Lots of thermodynamics, spectroscopy, quantum mechanics, kinetics...that sort of thing.

I'm interested in combining Physics and Chemistry too, but I know I probably won't become a professor. So, what industry options are there for the combination of these 2 subjects? Like, what are some areas that could actually use a Physical Chemist? Thanks.

There's a good bit of physics and chemistry in materials science as well.

1. How are Chemistry and Physics related?

Chemistry and Physics are both branches of science that study the properties and behavior of matter and energy. While Chemistry focuses on the composition and reactions of substances, Physics focuses on the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. Both subjects are closely related and often overlap, as many chemical reactions involve the transfer or conversion of energy and can be explained using principles of Physics.

2. Why is it important to merge Chemistry and Physics?

Merging Chemistry and Physics allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the natural world. By combining the principles and concepts of both disciplines, scientists can better explain and predict the behavior of matter and energy. It also opens up new avenues for research and innovation, leading to advancements in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and biotechnology.

3. How can Chemistry and Physics be merged?

One way to merge Chemistry and Physics is through interdisciplinary research projects that combine the expertise of scientists from both fields. This could involve studying the physical properties of chemical compounds or using physics concepts to explain chemical reactions. Another approach is to incorporate elements of both subjects into educational curricula, allowing students to see the connections between Chemistry and Physics from an early age.

4. What are some real-world applications of merging Chemistry and Physics?

The merging of Chemistry and Physics has led to many important discoveries and technological advancements. For example, understanding the physical properties of molecules has allowed for the development of new materials with unique properties, such as superconductors and polymers. Additionally, the use of physics principles in the design of drug delivery systems has improved the effectiveness and efficiency of medications.

5. What challenges may arise from merging Chemistry and Physics?

One challenge of merging Chemistry and Physics is the complexity of both subjects and the need for a strong foundation in both disciplines. This can make it difficult to find individuals with the necessary expertise to conduct interdisciplinary research. Additionally, differences in terminology and methods used in Chemistry and Physics can make it challenging to communicate and collaborate effectively between the two fields.