• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to Merge Chemistry and Physics

• Thread starter Collatz
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

So I start University in the Fall and I am torn between major choice now..

I basically applied initially for physics, but now I am becoming interested in chemistry once again. So I was wondering if there was a way I could combine the two into one field or specialized study? I've heard of Quantum Chemistry, but is that the only field? Also I will probably attempt[emphasis on attempt] to double major in both and if I happen to find my interest declining in one drop it as a major... but right now I just want to know what could I do.

Help!! >.<

Answers and Replies

dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What kind of work do you imagine yourself doing after your degree?

Well I want to go to grad school and after getting my doctorate well...
I hope to work in academia first, but if that doesn't work out i'll fall back on a government job maybe. o.o is that good enough?

Maybe physical chemistry? The phys. chem. textbook's I've looked through remind me more of physics books than chemistry books.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, physical chemistry would be a good choice. Lots of thermodynamics, spectroscopy, quantum mechanics, kinetics...that sort of thing.

I'm interested in combining Physics and Chemistry too, but I know I probably won't become a professor. So, what industry options are there for the combination of these 2 subjects? Like, what are some areas that could actually use a Physical Chemist? Thanks.

There's a good bit of physics and chemistry in materials science as well.