How to modulate the output of automotive injectors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FarmerTony
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Automotive Output
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
FarmerTony
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Using automotive injectors for a project. I would like to know if the signal to cause injector operation is -

1. PWM 12V, i.e. one off operation
2. Voltage modulation, i.e. the voltage applied controls the output rate.
3. Current modulation
4. Something else. If so what?

Tried an automotive forum, but all I got was "what do you think" troll responses. Looking for real information.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your #1 is correct. Automotive fuel injectors open once per combustion cycle, and they need to open fast and close fast. The flow rate is determined by injector size and fuel pressure.
 
The systems I'm aware of are PWM.

Found this article interesting, although it doesn't go very far into the electrical side of injector control.
 
Hmm, interesting. Now to work on the electronics part, thanks :D