How to optimize this part for production

In summary, the individual is looking to produce a 3mm thick sheet metal steel part with doubts about the bending of the top right part. They have provided notches on both sides of the top plate and are using a bending radius equal to the thickness of the material. They have questions regarding the length of the legs for maximum stiffness and how to increase stiffness without adding additional parts. The expert suggests calculating the area moment and deflection, and looking at standard commercial structural "C" channels for guidance. They also mention the potential for twisting due to lateral loading and suggest using rectangular tubing or a cross-brake to increase torque resistance. The individual mentions simulating the force of 5 N on the leg and getting a maximum deflection of
omarmorocci
I would like to produce the 3mm thick sheet metal steel part shown bellow but I have a few questions.
pic2.PNG

I have my doubts about the whether the bending of the top right part (with the holes) will work. The 5 mm spacing has to be there as the tool will be inserted into a 3 mm surface
pic3.PNG

Feel free to add any other comments
pic1.PNG

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since you have provided the required notches on both sides of the top plate the bending of that plate should not be a problem, it will simply require the mechanic to use a top blade that cut to the inside width of the formed channel to make that bend and center bend as well.

Just as a note, I cannot tell from the drawing what bend radius you are using for your bends but for best results the inside radius should be no less than 1 1/2 x the material thickness

Likes berkeman
JBA said:
Since you have provided the required notches on both sides of the top plate the bending of that plate should not be a problem, it will simply require the mechanic to use a top blade that cut to the inside width of the formed channel to make that bend and center bend as well.

Just as a note, I cannot tell from the drawing what bend radius you are using for your bends but for best results the inside radius should be no less than 1 1/2 x the material thickness
Thank you for your feedback.
The bending radius I am using is equal to the thickness of the material as that is what they use in the workshop.

I have some other questions in mind regarding this tool:
1) How long should the leg be relative to the base/web for maximum stiffness in the plane perpendicular to the legs
CD_Track.jpg

2) How can I increase the stiffness of the tool in the plane perpendicular to the legs without adding additional parts.

Thank you in advance

The web, not the legs is what provides stiffness for loads perpendicular to the legs. The legs are what prevent warping of the web due to that loading. I cannot give you a specific answer to your length vs leg height but you can calculate area moment of the channel and the deflection under load in the plane of of the web using a standard channel beam stress and deflection analysis. As for the best leg height to channel web width, as a guide to practical ratios I recommend you take a look at the dimensions of standard commercial structural "C" channels.

One caution about using channel shapes for lateral loading, the the load must be applied directly transverse in line with the web face of the channel. Any load that creates a torque on the channel, for example, a force applied to the face of the extension you have on one leg of the bottom arm of your fixture will easily twist that arm; and the same problem applies to the vertical arm of your fixture. Any lateral load applied to your horizontal arm is going to easily twist that vertical arm. (As I pointed out in my post to your earlier Physics Forum thread about this fixture design)

JBA said:
The web, not the legs is what provides stiffness for loads perpendicular to the legs. The legs are what prevent warping of the web due to that loading. I cannot give you a specific answer to your length vs leg height but you can calculate area moment of the channel and the deflection under load in the plane of of the web using a standard channel beam stress and deflection analysis. As for the best leg height to channel web width, as a guide to practical ratios I recommend you take a look at the dimensions of standard commercial structural "C" channels.

I followed you advice but instead of calculating it I figured it would be better to simulate it in solidworks. I simulated a force of 5 N on the leg of the tool.
pic1.PNG

I got a maximum deflection of 10 mm, which I think is pretty big for such a small force

pic3.PNG

Bellow is the top view of the deflection

pic2.PNG

That is no surprise to me, as I have already explained, channel type beams are very easy to twist when subjected to a torque.

JBA said:
That is no surprise to me, as I have already explained, channel type beams are very easy to twist when subjected to a torque.
Well, what are the possible adjustments/ alternative that could be used to minimize this twisting ?

The main issue is that you apparently have a very limited space width for the mounting of your fixture and apparently nothing to connect to for restraining the end of the horizontal arm. Using a rectangular tube shape for the vertical leg will substantially increase the torque resistance of that leg; (You can run a FEA analysis to see how much improvement that will provide) but, that is going to require either using rectangular tubing for that section and welding or bolting the top connection plate and horizontal leg to that member; or possibly making a second channel that can be fitted into or around your current channel from the open side and welded to form a rectangular tube shape.

Beyond that, without seeing an overall picture of the item on which this fixture is be mounted it is impossible to know what other alternatives might be possible.

omarmorocci said:
Well, what are the possible adjustments/ alternative that could be used to minimize this twisting ?

Have you considered a cross-brake on the mid-sections of the channels? Have you considered any other deformation features such as gussets on the bends on the sheet metal?

I think that scrolling through this page will help spark some ideas about deformation features that you could use on this structure to increase stiffness. Try them in your FEA. Try a few different ones and put them in different areas. http://www.soliddna.com/SEHelp/ST6/EN/create_sheet_metal_part/shtpls1a.htm

1. How can we reduce production costs for this part?

There are several ways to optimize a part for production in order to reduce costs. One option is to redesign the part to eliminate any unnecessary features or complex shapes, which can reduce manufacturing time and material costs. Another approach is to explore alternative materials that may be more cost-effective. Additionally, streamlining the production process and increasing efficiency can also help to lower costs.

2. What is the best method for producing this part?

The best production method for a part will depend on its specific design and function. It is important to consider factors such as the complexity of the part, required tolerances, and desired material properties. Some common production methods include injection molding, machining, casting, and additive manufacturing. Consulting with a manufacturing expert can help determine the most suitable method for your specific part.

3. How can we ensure the quality and consistency of this part in production?

To optimize a part for production, it is essential to establish quality control measures. This can include implementing inspection processes and quality checks throughout the production process, as well as setting clear standards and specifications for the part. Utilizing advanced technology, such as automated inspection systems, can also help to ensure consistent quality in production.

4. What are the potential design changes that could improve the manufacturability of this part?

Improving the manufacturability of a part can involve making design changes that simplify the production process. This can include reducing the number of manufacturing steps, simplifying tooling requirements, and minimizing the need for secondary operations. It may also be beneficial to consult with a manufacturing engineer to identify any design changes that could optimize the part for production.

5. How can we minimize the production time for this part?

Reducing production time is often a key consideration when optimizing a part for production. One approach is to identify any inefficiencies in the production process and implement improvements to streamline the process. This can include using advanced machinery and automation, optimizing tooling and fixtures, and minimizing setup and changeover times. Additionally, simplifying the part design can also help to reduce production time.