How to predic the possible values of Lx

• Thread starter EliotHijano
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the probability of measuring L_{x} in a quantum mechanical system with a wave function of \Psi=\Upsilon^{m}_{l} at t=0, where l=3 and m=0. It is suggested to perform a passive rotation of 90° around the y-axis to transform the |3,m> states to the |3,m> states in the x-basis. This allows for the inner product to be read-off and the answer of 3/16 is obtained.
EliotHijano
Hello, I would like to ask you something about angular momentum in quantum mechanics;
If I know that when t=0, my wave function is [tex]\Psi=\Upsilon^{m}_{l}[/tex] and [tex]l=3[/tex] and [tex]m=0[/tex], How can I calculate the probability of getting the value [tex]\hbar[/tex] meassuring [tex]L_{x}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not perform a passive rotation of 90° around the y-axis. Under this rotation, the |3,m> states transform to the |3,m> states in the x-basis. But you get them expressed in terms of the z-basis. So, you then see how |3,1> in the x-basis is expressed in terms of the |3,m> states in the z-basis and you can then read-off the inner product.

Thank you Count Iblis, that was the answer, I did it before reading this, but thank you anyway!
the answer was 3/16 If i remember correctly.

Maybe it is usefull for anybody to see the process. Look at the pdf.

Attachments

• ProblemSolved.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 326

What is Lx?

Lx refers to the value of a variable or quantity that is being predicted using a scientific method or model.

Why is it important to predict the possible values of Lx?

Predicting the possible values of Lx allows scientists to make informed decisions and draw conclusions based on the data they have collected. It also helps to identify trends and patterns in the data.

What factors are considered when predicting the possible values of Lx?

The factors that are considered when predicting the possible values of Lx depend on the specific scientific study or model being used. However, some common factors that may be considered include previous data, variables that may affect the outcome, and any external factors that may influence the results.

How accurate are predictions of Lx?

The accuracy of predictions of Lx can vary depending on the complexity of the system being studied and the quality of the data used. However, with careful analysis and consideration of all relevant factors, scientists can make reasonably accurate predictions.

Can predictions of Lx change over time?

Yes, predictions of Lx can change over time as new data is collected and analyzed. This is why it is important for scientists to continuously monitor and evaluate their predictions and adjust them accordingly.