1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to predic the possible values of Lx

1. Mar 28, 2009 #1
    Hello, I would like to ask you something about angular momentum in quantum mechanics;
    If I know that when t=0, my wave function is [tex]\Psi=\Upsilon^{m}_{l}[/tex] and [tex]l=3[/tex] and [tex]m=0[/tex], How can I calculate the probability of getting the value [tex]\hbar[/tex] meassuring [tex]L_{x}[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2
    Why not perform a passive rotation of 90° around the y-axis. Under this rotation, the |3,m> states transform to the |3,m> states in the x-basis. But you get them expressed in terms of the z-basis. So, you then see how |3,1> in the x-basis is expressed in terms of the |3,m> states in the z-basis and you can then read-off the inner product.

4. Mar 28, 2009 #3
    Thank you Count Iblis, that was the answer, I did it before reading this, but thank you anyway!
    the answer was 3/16 If i remember correctly.

5. Mar 28, 2009 #4
    Maybe it is usefull for anybody to see the process. Look at the pdf.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook