Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove Distractive dilemma ?

1. Aug 7, 2013 #1
    [ [(p-->q) and (r-->s)] and (~q or ~s) ] --> (~p or ~r)

I know all basic theories in Logic and I want to know the correct way/correct steps of proving this kind of things? I'm a beginner.. please help

I can explain above dilemma in words, but I have no idea how to write down the proof correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2013 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

There isn't a single standard for doing proofs that is correct. In a logic course, you would be given certain permissible patterns to use in a proof and you would naturally be expected to use them. (It's also taught in logic courses that proofs can be done by using truth tables.) If this problem arose in a discussion in a calculus course, it would probably be acceptable to offer a proof in words. You have to explain in what context you wish to give a proof.

Also, I don't think the names of proof techniques used in logic books are completely standardized, so a person might have to be familiar with the book or materials you are using in order to advise you.

4. Aug 8, 2013 #3

verty

Homework Helper

Proving it by contradiction may be the easiest way. See if you can do that.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook