1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove e^ix=cos x + i sin x

1. Aug 4, 2006 #1
    How to prove e^ix=cos x + i sin x

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2006 #2
    One way is to start with the taylor series for ex and then change x to ix and remembering that
    i2 = -1, i3 = -i, and i4 = 1 you can rearrange the series and show that this is equal to the other side of that equation.

4. Aug 4, 2006 #3
    The proof depends on your definitions (for example, if you define [itex]\cos{x}[/itex] as [itex](e^{ix}+e^{-ix})/2[/itex] and [itex]\sin{x}[/itex] as [itex](e^{ix} - e^{-ix})/(2i)[/itex] then it's pretty easy!).

It's also clear if you start from the Taylor series of the three functions about the origin as d_leet suggested.

You can also start from the differential equation for e^x,

[tex]y^\prime = y, y(0)=1.[/tex]

Write

[itex]e^{ix} = f(x) + ig(x),[/itex]

(where f, g are real-valued)

so that [itex]f(0) = 1[/itex] and [itex]g(0) = 0[/itex]

then you must have (by the chain rule)

[tex]ie^{ix} = f^\prime(x) + ig^\prime(x),[/tex]

or, rearranging,

[tex]e^{ix} = \frac{1}{i}f^\prime(x) + g^\prime(x) = g^\prime(x) - if^\prime(x).[/tex]

Since [itex]e^0 = 1[/itex] that means [itex]g^\prime(0) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f^\prime(0) = 0[/itex]. Now differentiate again and you get

[tex]ie^{ix} = g^{\prime \prime}(x) - if^{\prime \prime}(x)[/tex]

or

[tex]e^{ix} = -f^{\prime \prime}(x) - ig^{\prime \prime}(x).[/tex]

Comparing the real and imaginary parts with our original [itex]e^{ix} = f(x) + ig(x)[/itex] you get two differential equations with initial conditions:

[tex]f^{\prime \prime}(x) = -f(x), f^{\prime}(0) = 0, f(0) = 1[/tex]

and

[tex]g^{\prime \prime} (x) = -g(x), g^{\prime}(0) = 1, g(0) = 0.[/tex]

It's easy to check that f(x) = cos(x) and g(x)= sin(x) satisfy these DEs, and by a theorem in the theory of DEs the solutions are unique.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  5. Aug 5, 2006 #4
    Let [tex] z = \rm{cos}\theta + i \cdot \rm{sin}\theta [/tex]

Then derive z:

[tex]\frac{\rm{d}z}{\rm{d}\theta} = - \rm{sin}\theta + i \cdot \rm{cos}\theta = -1 (\rm{sin}\theta - i \cdot \rm{cos}\theta) = i^2 (\rm{sin}\theta - i \cdot\rm{cos}\theta ) = i (i \cdot \rm{sin}\theta - i^2 \cdot \rm{cos}\theta) = i(\rm{cos}\theta + i \cdot \rm{sin}\theta) = i \cdot z[/tex]

This is a differential equation:
    [tex]\frac{\rm{d}z}{\rm{d}\theta} = i z [/tex]
    whose solution is

[tex] z = e^{i \theta} [/tex]

Thus, [tex] \rm{cos}\theta + i \rm{sin}\theta = e^{i \theta} [/tex]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  6. Aug 8, 2006 #5
    Umm.. in fact i think that the "historical" development fo the formula came with euler when studying the "Harmonic (classical) oscilator"..

[tex] y'' + \omega ^2 y =0 [/tex] trying y=exp(ax) then you get..

[tex] a^2 +\omega ^2 =0 [/tex] so [tex] + \sqrt (-1) \omega =a [/tex] (and the same

with a minus sign)

-On the other hand the long-known solution for the Harmonic movement was [tex] y= Asin (\omega t) +B Cos(\omega t) [/tex] then if you set the initial condition [tex] y(0)=0 [/tex] you get the identity for sin. and using the well-known formula [tex] cos^2 (x) + sen^2 (x) =1 [/tex] oh..if today math were so easier....i would have became famous years ago.... :eek: :eek:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook