1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove rank(A+B)<=rankA+rankB ?thanks

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1
    can anyone give some hints to prove rank(A+B)<=rankA+rankB ?
    i just don't know how to find the rank(A+B) from the column vectors of (A+B) ... or there's another way to prove?
    thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to find the rank of A+B. You just need to show it is less than something else. Let let a_i and b_j, 1<=i,j<=n be the columns of A and B. What is the span of A+B's columns? It is the span of the vectors (a_i+b_i). What is the dimension of this space in relation to the span of hte a_i and the b_j? (You don't need to work anything out.)

4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    and so <a_i+b_i> = <a_1,a_2,..a_rankA,b_1,b_2...b_rankB> as every a_i+b_i can be written as a linear combination of those vectors.....this is really easy..thanks a lot!
    without your help i might still be stuck with finding out which a_i+b_i is the base vector of A+B...

5. Nov 16, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that is not the case. The span <a_i+b_i> is definitely not the span <a_i,b_j>. If it were then the question would be: show the rank of A+B equals the rank of A plus the rank of B. That is false - just consider B=-A to see this.

But, anything in the span of <a_i+b_i> is in the span of <a_i,b_j>, which gives the answer.

Also, the number of columns of A is not its rank - you don't just take the columns a_1,..,a_rank(A)

6. Nov 16, 2007 #5
    maybe I should write a_x(1) , a_x(2) , ...a_x(r) where r=rank(A) and x(i) shows the actual column number of the chosen base vectors...(sorry for my poor english...)

but i think... the rank of <a_i,b_j> dose not equal to rank(A)+ rank(B). if A=B ,then <a_i,b_j>=<a_i> .am i right?

so can i say rank(A+B)<= rank<A,B> <=rank A+rank B ? thanks for help

7. Nov 16, 2007 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You shouldn't write some choice of r of the columns - there is nothing that says r of them will form a basis. But that is completely immaterial.

You are on the right lines - think about how to write things clearly.

8. Nov 16, 2007 #7
    i'm not quite clear about this.
    rank(A) is defined (in my book) to be dim<a_1 ,a_2,a_n>. and so definitely r of them will form a basis of the span <a_1,a_2,...a_n> ,so why can't i make some choice of a_i to be the basis? sorry for asking if i misunderstand something.....but i just want to make sure of it.
    thanks again

9. Nov 17, 2007 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was being dense - this is just a replacement lemma.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?