How to prove the width of a resonance using the cross section of a S wave?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
ziad1985
Messages
244
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The total cross section of a S wave is given by the following equation
Sigma=(pi/k)*(b^2)/((E-En)^2+(b/2)^2))
prove that b is the width of the resonance.


Homework Equations


Nothing that is the only thing


The Attempt at a Solution


I already solved the question using basic calculation.
For E=En i get the maximum of Sigma , for half of that maximum , i get a second degree equation of E, when solving it i get 2 solution representing that half maximum(E1 & E2) , the difference between E1 and E2 , E1-E2=b
But I'm not really comfortable with the way i did it , I know i got the solution , but I'm looking for another way , something more to do with physics.
idea anyone?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You did it correctly. Somtimes physics depends on simple math.