How to prove (-x)³ = -(x³) for all real x

  • Thread starter Thread starter Airaya
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Airaya
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

Prove for all xεR [(-x)3 = -(x3)]
(Hint you may use the fact that -x = (-1)*x, but other wise stick to axioms)
I wrote something along the lines of .
(-x)3 can be written as (-1)(x)(x)(x) and -(x)3 can be written as (-1)((x)(x)(x))
and these are both equivalent
But it doesn't feel like I'm proving anything.
Not sure how to really write this out so there is enough "proof"
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the point you are missing is that (-x)3 "can be written as" (-x)(-x)(-x) and then you can show that is equal to -(x)(x)(x).