How to remote computer using putty without an internet connection?

In summary: Once you've verified the IP address and connection, I would follow the instructions here: Using SSH in Putty.
Nate Duong
Dear Group,

I have 1 tablet and 1 desktop, I am trying to use tablet with putty.exe to remote a desktop without internet connection,

My goal is creating bat file on the tablet, edit file such as: "start putty.exe -v -ssh %finderunit% -l FINDER -pw finder -m calibrate_commands.txt" . Means, putty helped me to access into the desktop and run calibrate_commands.txt file. (no internet connection) just using work network.

I followed instructions from google but i could not get my point:

- I downloaded putty.exe for tablet and desktop.

- I went to cmd with ipconfig comment to get ip address of the devices

Please help.

Thank you,

Nate Duong.

Computer science news on Phys.org
They do still need to be connected somehow. How are they connected to each other? Are they on the same LAN? Also, it would help if you post the link to the instructions that you're following.

Back in the days before the internet, people would connect computers with a cable connected to the serial ports of the two computers.

Likes Nate Duong
I admit I was intrigued by the notion or using putty to connect two computers!

Likes Nate Duong
Borg said:
They do still need to be connected somehow. How are they connected to each other? Are they on the same LAN? Also, it would help if you post the link to the instructions that you're following.
Dear Borg,
here is the link instruction: https://cc.jlab.org/windows/remotedesktop#Detailed Instructions

I also looked at the desktop and tried to set up the work network (in the network and sharing center) because I believe since I am possible to set up the work network, then I could make putty work. I tried many ways, but i could not do it.

I am trying to make them with wireless connection.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 919
I can't see what's on your picture very well so I'm not sure that the two devices are on the same network. So, the first thing that I would do is to confirm connectivity.

On the device that you are trying to connect to, open a command prompt and type ipconfig to determine its IP address. Then, on the other computer, open a command prompt and try to ping the other one - ping <ipaddress>. If you get a reply, then they can see each other.

From the link that you supplied, it looks like it is putty instructions for a specific application. The tunnels aren't usually necessary for a simple connection between two computers. Another thing that I'm not sure about is whether you can connect two Windows machines. I mainly use putty to connect to a Unix machine from either Windows or Unix. I seem to remember issues with connecting between two Windows OS platforms but I'm not sure. For now, make sure that they can at least see each other as I wrote in the previous post.

Once you've verified the IP address and connection, I would follow the instructions here: Using SSH in Putty.

Nate Duong said:
Dear Group,
I have 1 tablet and 1 desktop, I am trying to use tablet with putty.exe to remote a desktop without internet connection,
My goal is creating bat file on the tablet, edit file such as: "start putty.exe -v -ssh %finderunit% -l FINDER -pw finder -m calibrate_commands.txt" . Means, putty helped me to access into the desktop and run calibrate_commands.txt file. (no internet connection) just using work network.
There are a couple of other few things you may also need to check beside what has been suggested.
1. Are you sure their delivered IPs are both in the same functioning network as I see you are connecting them via a domain service ?
2. You say you downloaded putty.exe for both but you use one - tablet - to remotely connect to your PC ? That means Two clients connect to each other by putty, uhmm... ?
3. Did you either turn off your PC firewall or allow remote connections from other devices with inbound/outbound rules set up ?

Likes Nate Duong
Nate Duong said:
Dear Borg,
here is the link instruction: https://cc.jlab.org/windows/remotedesktop#Detailed Instructions

I also looked at the desktop and tried to set up the work network (in the network and sharing center) because I believe since I am possible to set up the work network, then I could make putty work. I tried many ways, but i could not do it.

I am trying to make them with wireless connection.
Are you aware of the 'prt sc' key? This will take a copy of your screen -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_screen.

This should rectify the issue Borg is having with the picture you attached to the post.

@Nate Duong: I was thinking about what you're trying to ultimately do. Have to tried to use Windows Explorer to map a network drive between the two computers? Maybe that would meet your needs without getting Putty involved.

Nate Duong said:
Dear Group,

Please help.

Thank you,

Nate Duong.

Hello Nate,
In order to use putty to remotely issue commands from the tablet to the desktop, you will first need to have a SSH service/daemon running on the desktop which will listen for incoming SSH connections.
The example you linked, the cc.jlab.org link, shows you how to establish an SSH tunnel for Remote desktop to a server that is running an SSH service. Your problem, in as far as I can see, is that you don't have an SSH server running on your desktop to accept an incoming SSH connection.

Putty is only client software. It cannot listen for incoming connections.

You will need to first install an SSH Server on your desktop computer, something like freeSSHd. Once you have an SSH server running on the desktop, then you will be able to initiate a connection from your tablet using Putty.

Hope this helps,
Cheers.

P.S. IMO, this is not a simple way to do what you're looking to do. Since both the tablet and desktop are on the same network, I would simply use Remote Desktop to connect and issue the relevant commands.

Likes Nate Duong
Borg said:
@Nate Duong: I was thinking about what you're trying to ultimately do. Have to tried to use Windows Explorer to map a network drive between the two computers? Maybe that would meet your needs without getting Putty involved.

Dear Borg,

Thank you for your posts, It helped me a lot for more understanding about this knowledge,

As you know raspberry pi which is using Linux. When you want to remote that Pi using desktop (windows7), just need to download putty.exe,

Run Putty.exe and type IP address of the Pi which showed on the screen of Pi, then another windows will shows up and ask to to type use name and password, but this situation is using internet.

Similar, I would like to do that way on 2 computers which are using windows operation system (windows7).

But I not using internet connection. My understanding that if you want to remote another computer using putty (with hostname or ip address) you have to create a host or server to make putty can access into that network. Fix me if I said wrong anything.

Hope you can give me ideal.

Thank you,

Nate Duong.

Routaran said:
Hello Nate,
In order to use putty to remotely issue commands from the tablet to the desktop, you will first need to have a SSH service/daemon running on the desktop which will listen for incoming SSH connections.
The example you linked, the cc.jlab.org link, shows you how to establish an SSH tunnel for Remote desktop to a server that is running an SSH service. Your problem, in as far as I can see, is that you don't have an SSH server running on your desktop to accept an incoming SSH connection.

Putty is only client software. It cannot listen for incoming connections.

You will need to first install an SSH Server on your desktop computer, something like freeSSHd. Once you have an SSH server running on the desktop, then you will be able to initiate a connection from your tablet using Putty.

Hope this helps,
Cheers.

P.S. IMO, this is not a simple way to do what you're looking to do. Since both the tablet and desktop are on the same network, I would simply use Remote Desktop to connect and issue the relevant commands.

Dear Routaran,

Thank you very much for your advise, I will try on it... and I will give you feed back If I get something...

Again, Thank you.

Nate Duong.

Silicon Waffle said:
There are a couple of other few things you may also need to check beside what has been suggested.
1. Are you sure their delivered IPs are both in the same functioning network as I see you are connecting them via a domain service ?
2. You say you downloaded putty.exe for both but you use one - tablet - to remotely connect to your PC ? That means Two clients connect to each other by putty, uhmm... ?
3. Did you either turn off your PC firewall or allow remote connections from other devices with inbound/outbound rules set up ?

Dear Silicon Waffle,

Thank you for your advise, I will try to work on it and see what going on next, my expectation that the first computer (PC2.JPG) will be possible to search the name wifi of another computer (PC1.JPG) ,(Such as name FINDER13, and showed with the images attached, please look at them), then at that time, putty will be worked.

As you know raspberry pi which is using Linux. When you want to remote that Pi using desktop (windows7), just need to download putty.exe,

Run Putty.exe and type IP address of the Pi which showed on the screen of Pi, then another windows will shows up and ask to to type use name and password, but this situation is using internet.

Similar, I would like to do that way on 2 computers which are using windows operation system (windows7).

But I not using internet connection. My understanding that if you want to remote another computer using putty (with hostname or ip address) you have to create a host or server to make putty can access into that network. Fix me if I said wrong anything.Thank you,

Nate Duong.

Attachments

• PC1.JPG
    PC1.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 798
  • PC2.JPG
    PC2.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 745
Nate Duong said:
Dear Borg,

Thank you for your posts, It helped me a lot for more understanding about this knowledge,

But I not using internet connection. My understanding that if you want to remote another computer using putty (with hostname or ip address) you have to create a host or server to make putty can access into that network. Fix me if I said wrong anything.

Hope you can give me ideal.

Thank you,
Nate Duong.
It seems that you are confusing a network connection with an internet connection. Whether or not you have a server, you still need to be able to connect them. You can't take two computers that aren't connected, get the IP addresses and magically Putty between them. There needs to be a LAN cable or wireless connection between them - this is the basis of a network connection.

For example, I have a Raspberry Pi that I putty into from my laptop. Both of them are connected to my router via a LAN cable - the router provides the connection between them. I could disconnect the router from the internet and I would still be able to connect between the two. However, if I disconnect either of them from the router, I won't be able to get in.

Likes Nate Duong
Nate, try to use putty to connect to your raspberry pi from the tablet. You said that your desktop can SSH to the raspberry pi, that means both of those devices are on the same network. If your tablet can SSH to the raspberry pi, then your network connection is correct, all you need to do then is install and configure an SSH server on your desktop and then you'll be able to SSH from the tablet using putty to the Desktop.

If the tablet does not connect to the raspberry pi, then your tablet is not connected to your network or there are firewall rules on your tablet preventing putty from connecting. You'll need to first make sure that the tablet is properly connected to your network (wired or wireless as Borg said) and then test again.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Nate Duong
Borg said:
It seems that you are confusing a network connection with an internet connection. Whether or not you have a server, you still need to be able to connect them. You can't take two computers that aren't connected, get the IP addresses and magically Putty between them. There needs to be a LAN cable or wireless connection between them - this is the basis of a network connection.

For example, I have a Raspberry Pi that I putty into from my laptop. Both of them are connected to my router via a LAN cable - the router provides the connection between them. I could disconnect the router from the internet and I would still be able to connect between the two. However, if I disconnect either of them from the router, I won't be able to get in.

Dear Borg,

I have 2 patterns, 1 is tablet and 1 is desktop with this chip on the mother board (image attached), do you think this chip will help me to create network or not?

Please also look at the images which attached below.

My expectation that the first computer (PC2.JPG) will be possible to search the name wifi of another computer (PC1.JPG) ,(Such as name FINDER13, and showed with the images attached, please look at them), then at that time, putty will be worked.

Please give me an advise,

Thank you,

Best regards.

Nate Duong.

Attachments

• IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_2366.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 759
  • PC2.JPG
    PC2.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 722
  • PC1.JPG
    PC1.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 806
Nate Duong said:
My expectation that the first computer (PC2.JPG) will be possible to search the name wifi of another computer (PC1.JPG) ,(Such as name FINDER13, and showed with the images attached, please look at them), then at that time, putty will be worked.
If they can see each other as in picture 3, then it is possible to connect them wirelessly. There are a number of settings that will have to be turned on in order to do it that way. I don't know what the defaults are for them. In order to do it, you will need to make sure that they're all on and that you have a shared folder that the connecting computer can log in to. Note that if you could do this without a user id and password, your computer would be open to attack from anyone within wireless range. It is much easier to start by connecting them directly first. Make sure that you can connect that way before you try to connect wirelessly. Otherwise you'll be trying to debug multiple problems at once.

1. How do I use Putty to remote computer without an internet connection?

To remote computer using Putty without an internet connection, you will need to establish a direct connection between your local computer and the remote computer. This can be done by connecting both computers via a LAN (Local Area Network) cable or through a direct serial connection.

2. Can I use Putty to remote computer without an internet connection on any operating system?

Yes, Putty can be used to remote computer without an internet connection on any operating system as long as it is installed on both the local and remote computers. Putty is compatible with Windows, MacOS, and Linux operating systems.

3. What information do I need to remote computer using Putty without an internet connection?

You will need the IP address or hostname of the remote computer, as well as the username and password for the account you will be using to connect. You may also need to specify the port number if it is not the default port for the specific protocol you are using (e.g. SSH or Telnet).

4. Can I use Putty to remote computer without an internet connection for file transfers?

Yes, you can use Putty to transfer files between the local and remote computers without an internet connection. This can be done through the use of protocols such as SCP (Secure Copy) or SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol), which are supported by Putty.

5. Are there any limitations to using Putty to remote computer without an internet connection?

One limitation is that you will not be able to access any resources or websites outside of the local network. Additionally, if the remote computer is not on the same LAN as the local computer, you may need to set up port forwarding on the router to establish a connection. Some features of Putty may also be limited or unavailable without an internet connection, such as automatic updates or remote desktop sharing.