Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Restrict Internet Access

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Is there anyway that I can restrict internet access to a few selected websites without having to purchase software to do the job? If so, how?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2009 #2
    You could use a firewall or a proxy.
    If you are in a network then you should install the firewall (or a proxy) in the gateway.

4. Jul 23, 2009 #3

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I'm not really sure how to do that :tongue:

I want to restrict the internet access so my little brother can only access a few approved websites.

5. Jul 23, 2009 #4
    You can install OpenDNS and use its filtering. I'm not sure if you can block all but a few sites, but you can block many categories. What you are trying to do is known as a 'whitelist'.

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticge...-your-kids-online-with-any-os-using-open-dns/

Edit: What kind of router do you have? You may be able to set up whitelisting directly on there. Ideally you want to do something on the router level, as anything done on the PC could be circumvented pretty easy.

6. Jul 23, 2009 #5

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I completely forgot my router login details so I might have some problems accessing the router home page.

I'm not really worried about it being circumvented, because it's just for my little brother and I doubt that he'll be able to do it cause he's like 7.

I'll look into this OpenDNS thing, thank you.

7. Jul 23, 2009 #6
    Routers have reset buttons on them which will reset all the settings including the password.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook