How to select tire that holds a given load?

• Thread starter em07189
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Tire
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of selecting a tire that can hold a given load of 32 tonnes. Factors such as the number of tires, driving conditions, and tire pressure are mentioned. Some members suggest contacting tire manufacturers for advice, while others share their own calculations and experiences with selecting tires. The conversation also includes links to resources for further information.
em07189
HI everyone!

Where and how can i selet a tire that holds a given load ,let´s say 32 tonnes.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a few factors involved. The first is how many tires you have; remember that the load will be more or less evenly distributed among all of them. Another is what driving conditions will apply. Bouncing along at high speed over rough terrain is a lot different than creeping along a highway.
Your best bet is probably to contact various tire manufacturers, tell them what you need, and let them advise you.

Static load and dynamic load are different. If a tire is revolving at 1000 RPM, each segment of sidewall is flexing at the same rate. This flexing, due to static load, is heating the tire. High tire pressure minimizes flexing.

Great post, but doesn't answer the OPs question. :tongue2:

Suppose you wanted a tyre that could hold an operating pressure of 600 KPa (6 bar), and support 32 tonnes=32,000 Kg. Then the footprint area A of the tyre on the ground will be A = 32,000/600,000 = 0.053 square meters. The footprint probably should be about square, so about 0.23 meters by 0.23 meters. So with a tyre width of .23 meters. I'll guess that the tyre diameter is about 6 x the width or 1.38 meters.

I once got hold of the European way to calculate advice-pressures for car-tires.
Worked it out and learned myself Excell to make spreadsheets for it.
In my search I came by articles about it .
But the surface on the ground is for a radial tire almost rectangular ( sorry for eventual misspelling, native speech is Dutch).
You can look in the next map on my skydrive of hotmail adress, where I placed spreadsheet to calcuate the indentation of the tire for given maximum load and sises.This spreadsheet gave less indetation then it is in practice, and so I also made a picture with paint about how it to my opinion really deformes the tire
This map I opened especially for discussion I have with maker of article about a new way of calculating in which the indentation has to stay the same at lower load.
His article You can find navigating my complete public map with a link in my own first reaction there, Tire-pressure at reduced loads by J.C. Daws.
To make a long story short , mayby by studying my map and the article of mr Daws, you will get a good idea of what is important for the load of a tire.
http://cid-a526e0eee092e6dc.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/all%20about%20tire-pressure
If you can't open a spreadsheet in the browser, download it and open it in Excell or compatible programm, to work with it.
The browser can't handle sheetprotection and data-validation I used in most of them.
If , after reading, questions pup up , ask me here

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is the O.P. already chose a tire. After all, his post was over two years ago.

1. How do I determine the load capacity of a tire?

The load capacity of a tire is typically indicated by the tire's load index. This number is found on the sidewall of the tire and correlates to the maximum weight that the tire can safely support. You can use a load index chart provided by the tire manufacturer to find the specific load capacity for your tire.

2. What is the difference between load index and load range?

Load index refers to the maximum weight that a single tire can support, while load range refers to the overall weight capacity of the tire. Load range is determined by the number of plies or layers of material used in the tire's construction. A higher load range indicates a higher weight capacity.

3. How do I know if a tire can handle the load of my vehicle?

To determine if a tire can handle the load of your vehicle, you will need to know the weight of your vehicle and the weight rating of the tire. The total weight of your vehicle should not exceed the combined weight rating of all four tires. You can find the weight rating of a tire by looking at the load index and load range.

4. Can I use tires with a higher load rating than my vehicle requires?

It is generally recommended to use tires with a load rating that matches or exceeds the weight requirements of your vehicle. This ensures that the tires can safely support the weight of your vehicle and any additional load. Using tires with a lower load rating can lead to premature wear and potential safety hazards.

5. Are there any other factors besides load capacity to consider when selecting tires?

Yes, there are a few other important factors to consider when selecting tires. These include tire size, speed rating, and tread design. It is important to choose tires that are the correct size for your vehicle, have a speed rating that matches your driving needs, and have a tread design suitable for the terrain and weather conditions you will be driving in.