Can the Sum of Two Squares Ever Equal 3 Times a Perfect Square?

• MHB
  • Thread starter MathLover_James
  • Start date
In summary, there cannot exist integers a, b, and c such that a^2 + b^2 = 3*c^2, as this is a consequence of the sum of two squares theorem. This theorem states that if an integer has an odd power of 3 in its prime decomposition, it cannot be the sum of two squares. Therefore, since 3c^2 has an odd power of 3 in its prime decomposition, it cannot be the sum of two squares. It is possible to prove this without using the sum of two squares theorem, but this theorem is a complex result in number theory.
MathLover_James
There can't be a, b and c integers such that:

• a^2 + b^2 = 3*c^2

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on what \(\displaystyle a, b\) and \(\displaystyle c\) are.

MathLover_James said:
There can't be a, b and c integers such that:

• a^2 + b^2 = 3*c^2
This is a consequence of the sum of two squares theorem. This says (among other things) that if the prime decomposition of an integer $n$ contains $3$ raised to an odd power then $n$ cannot be the sum of two squares. Since the number $n = 3c^2$ has an odd power of $3$ in its prime decomposition, the theorem says that it cannot be the sum of two squares.

I don't know whether you can prove the result about $3c^2$ without using the sum of two squares theorem, which is a fairly deep result in number theory.

1. How do I properly format and present my data in a scientific paper?

The best way to show your results in a scientific paper is to use clear and concise figures and tables. Make sure to label all axes and provide a legend for any symbols or colors used. Additionally, include statistical analysis such as mean, standard deviation, and p-values to support your findings.

2. Should I use graphs or tables to present my data?

The decision to use graphs or tables depends on the type of data you are presenting. Generally, graphs are better for showing trends and patterns, while tables are better for displaying exact values and comparisons. Consider using both if they complement each other and enhance the understanding of your results.

3. How do I choose the appropriate type of graph for my data?

The type of graph you choose depends on the type of data you have. For numerical data, a bar graph, line graph, or scatter plot may be appropriate. For categorical data, a pie chart or stacked bar graph may be more suitable. Consider the variables you want to compare and the message you want to convey to determine the best type of graph.

4. What is the importance of including error bars in my graphs?

Error bars are important in graphs as they show the variability and uncertainty in your data. They provide a visual representation of the precision and accuracy of your measurements, and help readers understand the reliability of your results. Make sure to choose the appropriate type of error bars (e.g. standard error, standard deviation) based on your data and research question.

5. How do I effectively present my results in a presentation or poster?

When presenting your results in a presentation or poster, it is important to use clear and visually appealing figures and tables. Make sure to highlight the most important findings and use concise and informative titles and captions. Additionally, practice your presentation to ensure you can effectively communicate your results to your audience.