How to solve a double incognite equation?

• Thread starter KRiBaH
  • Start date
This is why equations like x+3y=4 are called linear; their graphs are straight lines. In summary, if given a single equation in two unknowns, the solution can be found by isolating either x or y and then solving for the other variable. The solution will be a set of (x,y) pairs that satisfy the equation, since the equation represents a straight line on a coordinate system.
KRiBaH
Hello! I am new here! And i really like this site! So here's is my problem:

Well i know how to solve a simple equation with 2 incognites like:

x+y=2

x+4=2y

So in this case i do a substitue y=x-2 and use it in the second equation and it would be like:

x+4=2(x-2)

But the problem is if they only give me one equation with 2 incognites how can i solve it?

Example:

3x-4y+2=2(x+1)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If all you are given is one equation in two unknowns - like your example

3x-4y+2=2(x+1)

and no other information, then you have only two choices

1. Solve for x in terms of y: x = material involving only y and constants

2. Solve for y in terms of x: y = material involving only x and constants

Typically version 2 is selected, as we are accustomed to seeing equations with y isolated.
What is the setting for this question?

A single equation in two unknown numbers, x and y, has an infinite number of (x,y) solutions: The graph of something like 3x-4y+2=2(x+1) on an xy- coordinate system would be a straight line. Every point on the line gives an (x,y) pair that satifies the equation.

So that means that x or y can't have an exact number because it can be any number, like it can't be x=2, it must be like x € (-infinite,infinite) like the inequations is that what you mean?

Either x or y can be any number. Once one of them is chosen, the other is fixed.

1. How do I identify a double incognite equation?

A double incognite equation is an equation that contains two unknown variables. These variables are typically represented by letters such as x and y.

2. What are the steps for solving a double incognite equation?

The first step is to rearrange the equation so that the unknown variables are on one side and the constants are on the other side. Then, use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to isolate one of the variables. Finally, substitute the value of the isolated variable into the equation to solve for the remaining variable.

3. Can I use the same methods for solving single variable equations on a double incognite equation?

Yes, the same methods of solving equations apply to double incognite equations. However, you may need to use more steps and operations to isolate and solve for both variables.

4. Are there any special cases or exceptions when solving double incognite equations?

Yes, there may be special cases where the equation has no solution or an infinite number of solutions. For example, if the equation is 2x + 3y = 6, there are infinite solutions because any values of x and y that satisfy this equation will work. However, if the equation is 2x + 3y = 7, there is no solution because no values of x and y can make this equation true.

5. What is the importance of solving double incognite equations in scientific research?

Double incognite equations are often used in scientific research to model complex relationships between two variables. By solving these equations, scientists can determine the values of the variables and better understand the relationship between them. This can lead to further discoveries and advancements in various fields of science.