How to solve absolute value equation with two absolute values

In summary, in solving an equation with two absolute value functions, there are four possible cases to consider, but only two are necessary. These cases involve checking if both expressions inside the absolute value functions are non-negative, or if one is non-negative while the other is negative. It is important to check for solutions in the cases where x is equal to -1/2, as it may be a solution. Using the rational form of the equation may create an undefined x value and is not necessary. The three cases to solve for are x< -1/2, -1/2< x< 1/4, and x> 1/4, and it is important to check that any solutions are within these ranges.
barryj
How does one solve an equation with two absolute value functions as below
My algebra book does not show how to solve with two abs functions.

2|4x-1| = 3|4x+2|

I thought this might work..

|4x-1|/|4x+2| = 3/2 then

|(4x-1)/(4x+2)| = 3/2 and solve the normal way..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
barryj said:
How does one solve an equation with two absolute value functions as below
My algebra book does not show how to solve with two abs functions.

2|4x-1| = 3|4x+2|

I thought this might work..

|4x-1|/|4x+2| = 3/2 then

|(4x-1)/(4x+2)| = 3/2 and solve the normal way..
Reforming as rational equation will not help.
Each expression inside absolute value function maybe be non-negative or negative, giving you four possible cases, but you really only need (placing stress on my logic), two cases.
You could be able to do this using : Both expressions are nonnegative; or one expression is nonnegative while the other is negative.

4x-1 maybe be nonnegative or it may be negative;
4x+2 may be nonnegative or it may be negative.
IF you want to check for the four possible cases, which is probably redundant,

2(4x-1)=3(4x+2)
----------------------------------------
2(1-4x)=3(4x+2)
---------------------------------------
2(4x-1)=3(-1)(4x+2)
2(1-4x)=3(-1)(4x+2)

You can soon determine which of these are the two redundant equations.

symbolipoint said:
for the four possible cases
There's even a method to simply check for two cases only, by dividing both sides by ##|4x+2|##, $$\begin{align*}2|4x-1| = 3|4x+2|&\overset{\ ?}\iff \frac{2|4x-1|}{|4x+2|}=\frac{3|4x+2|}{|4x+2|} \end{align*}$$ Since we're dividing by ##|4x+2|## we must have ##x\neq -1/2##, so for the equivalence to hold we must check that either: ##x=-1/2## isn't a solution, and if it's a solution then we must include it. (As it turns out, it isn't, so we won't include it) $$\begin{align}2|4x-1| = 3|4x+2|&\iff \frac{2|4x-1|}{|4x+2|}=\frac{3|4x+2|}{|4x+2|}\\ &\iff2\frac{|4x-1|}{|4x+2|}= 3\\ &\iff\frac{|4x-1|}{|4x+2|}=\frac32\\ &\iff\left|\dfrac{4x-1}{4x+2}\right|=\frac32\\ &\iff\dfrac{4x-1}{4x+2}=\frac32\ \text{or}\ \dfrac{4x-1}{4x+2}=-\frac32\\ \end{align}$$ I'm sure you could take it from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anama, I see why you should check to see if x = -1/2 is a solution. You say it is, I checked and it isn't , I don't think?

Likes Anama Skout
barryj said:
Anama, I see why you should check to see if x = -1/2 is a solution. You say it is, I checked and it isn't , I don't think?
My mistake, thanks, corrected

I would avoid trying to form the rational form of the equation, mostly because it creates, at least temporarily, a possible undefined x value. The rational form also should not be necessary.

You could do this by looking at the three cases. 4x- 1= 0 when x= 1/4. 4x+ 2= 0 when x= -1/2.
So the three cases are x< -1/2, -1/2< x< 1/4, and x> 1/4.
1) If x< -1/2, it is also less than 1/4 so both 4x- 1 and 4x+ 2 are negative: |4x- 1|= -(4x- 1)= 1- 4x and |4x+ 2|= -(4x+ 2)= -4x- 2.
2|4x- 1|= 2(1- 4x)= 2- 8x= 3|4x+ 2|= 3(-4x- 2)= -12x- 6.
Solve 2- 8x= -12x- 6. (And check that any solution is less than -1/2.)

2) If -1/2< x< 1/4 then 4x+ 2 is positive but 4x- 1 is still negative: |4x- 1|= 1- 4x.
2|4x- 1|= 2(1- 4x)= 2- 8x= 3|4x+ 2|= 3(4x+ 2)= 12x+ 6.
Solve 2- 8x= 12x+ 6. (And check that any solution is between -1/2 and 1/4.)

3) If x> 1/4 then both 4x+ 2 and 4x- 1 are positive.
2|4x- 1|= 2(4x- 1)= 8x- 2= 3|4x+ 2|= 3(4x+ 2)= 12x+ 6
Solve 8x- 2= 12x+ 6. (And check that any solution is larger than 1/4.)

1. How do I know when to use the absolute value symbol in an equation?

The absolute value symbol is used when the value of a number is needed, regardless of its sign. In other words, it tells us the distance of a number from zero on a number line. In an equation, it is used when there is a possibility of a negative solution.

2. What is the general form of an absolute value equation with two absolute values?

The general form of an absolute value equation with two absolute values is |ax + b| = |cx + d|, where a, b, c, and d are constants.

3. How do I solve an absolute value equation with two absolute values?

To solve an absolute value equation with two absolute values, first isolate one absolute value on one side of the equation and the other absolute value on the other side. Then, set up two separate equations by removing the absolute value symbol. Solve each equation separately and check for extraneous solutions.

4. Can an absolute value equation with two absolute values have multiple solutions?

Yes, an absolute value equation with two absolute values can have multiple solutions. This is because both absolute values can have positive or negative solutions, resulting in multiple solutions for the equation.

5. How do I check my solutions for an absolute value equation with two absolute values?

To check your solutions for an absolute value equation with two absolute values, substitute them back into the original equation and simplify. If the equation holds true, then the solutions are correct. If not, then you may have an extraneous solution.