How to solve for face pressure on Roller 3 using the force pushing 1

In summary, to calculate the face pressure on Roller 3, you will need to know the force pushing 1 and the surface area of Roller 3. The force should be measured in Newtons (N) and the area should be measured in square meters (m<sup>2</sup>). The surface area of Roller 3 can be measured by finding the circumference of the roller and multiplying it by the width of the roller. You can use a different force pushing 1 for the calculation as long as it is measured in Newtons and is pushing on the same surface area of Roller 3. The specific formula for calculating face pressure on Roller 3 is face pressure = force / area and can be applied to any situation where there
ZJL
TL;DR Summary
A band is wrapped around 4 rollers, assuming no tension change in the belt and no stretch, how can you solve for the face pressure / normal force on roller 3. The contact area on Roller three is 12 ft, and each roller is 80 inches in length
1663775526887.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this homework? If so, we can move it to the homework forum.

This is PF, where we help you, but do not fully solve it for you. So, here's some help:

Step 1: Get all of your units correct.

Step 2: Calculate the tension in the band.

Step 3: Sketch and post a free body diagram for Roller 3.

Likes berkeman

1. How do I calculate the face pressure on Roller 3?

To calculate the face pressure on Roller 3, you will need to use the formula P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force pushing 1, and A is the surface area of Roller 3 that is in contact with the force. This will give you the pressure in units of force per unit area (such as N/m2 or Pa).

2. What is the force pushing 1?

The force pushing 1 refers to the external force acting on Roller 3. This could be from another object pushing against Roller 3, or from a force applied to Roller 3 itself.

3. How do I determine the surface area of Roller 3?

The surface area of Roller 3 can be determined by measuring the diameter and length of the roller and using the formula for the surface area of a cylinder, A = 2πr2 + 2πrh, where r is the radius of the roller and h is the height (or length) of the roller.

4. Can I use this formula for any type of roller?

Yes, you can use this formula for any type of roller as long as you have the necessary information to calculate the pressure, such as the force pushing against the roller and the surface area of the roller in contact with the force.

5. How can I use this information in my research or experiments?

Knowing how to calculate the face pressure on a roller can be useful in various research or experimental settings, such as in material testing or engineering design. It can help you understand the effects of external forces on rollers and how to optimize their performance. It can also be used to ensure the safety and stability of structures that use rollers, such as conveyor belts or roller coasters.