1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve for x? (2/9)x^2 + (4/3)x > 0.5^x

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    Hi all, for what I'm currently doing I need to find where that parabola is greater than the exponential equation.This may seem simple but I cant seem to do anything other than rephrase it without getting a solution. Any help appreciated. it seems as though the answer is where x>0 but I can't prove it algebraicly.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With over 300 posts, you should know by now not to put your equations in the title.

If you plot the functions on the two sides of the inequality you will see they cross near ##x=1/2##, not near ##x=0##. You can solve for it numerically.

4. Feb 16, 2015 #3
    Numerical analysis gives about 0.4, you are right. But is it undoable algebraicaly?

5. Feb 16, 2015 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is closer to .5 than .4. Yes, you can not solve it algebraically in terms of the usual functions.

6. Feb 16, 2015 #5
    Thank you, like your signature by the way. "usual functions" is there an unusual one to do this job?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook