Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve SDOF for an impact test

1. Sep 9, 2016 #1
    Hi guys,

Can you help me with my problem please? if a steel ball 10 kg falls from 1 metre (free fall) and hits a concrete beam, how can I solve a single degree of freedom system to get the impact force and compare it with the test?

Acceleration of the steel ball is known (so impact force can be calculated)
    Mid-span displacement of the beam is known as well.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This question seems to be essentially the same as one I replied to recently ?

4. Sep 9, 2016 #3
    Yes, but i think the post was deleted or something. i cannot find it. Is it possible to re-post your reply please?

5. Sep 9, 2016 #4
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Can you help me with my problem please? if a steel ball 10 kg falls from 1 metre (free fall) and hits a concrete beam, how can I solve a single degree of freedom system to get the impact force and compare it with the test?

Acceleration of the steel ball is known (so impact force can be calculated)
    Mid-span displacement of the beam is known as well.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted to solve the equation of motion with the graphs but i couldn't do it.

6. Sep 10, 2016 #5

JBA

If you have the physical characteristics of the beam and if its ends are simply supported then you can calculate the force utilizing the formula for a point load for calculating the deflection of the beam to find the force applied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted