1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area

1. Feb 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, so in a lab I was preforming Izod impact tests on notched polymer specimens.
    To complete my calculations I need to determine the correct cross-sectional area to use (Which is baffling me as the simple things usually do)

The sample was loaded with the notch facing the direction of the pendulum.

2. Relevant equations

Width 12.97mm
    Thickness 5.87mm
    Length 62.61mm

And the Notch is 2mm deep at an angle of 45°

3. The attempt at a solution

So I haven't got far with my attempts at the problem because I'm liteally clueless at where to begin and how the notch will effect the cross sectional area. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2014 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't get involved witht the actual impact testing method and analysis...I simply specify that such tests should be done (at the mill, if steel, which more typically uses Charpy V-notch testing) in accordance with established testing standards.
    I would surmise that the cross section area at the apex of notch is the remaining (net) cross section area in the shear plane after removing the notch area. Make sure you calculate this correctly based on which face the notch is on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted