How to solve simple Percentages problem?

• Thread starter vitaminZ
  • Start date
In summary, the new price of the camera after a 7.5% reduction is $162.79. The percentage price reduction in a sale where the shop reduces its prices by the amount of the VAT on each item is 14.89%.
vitaminZ

Homework Statement

Q1. A shop's normal price for a camera is $175. If prices are temporarily reduced by 7.5%, what is the new price of the camera?

Q2. In a sale, a shop reduces its prices by the amount of the VAT on each item. If VAT is 17.5%, what is the percentage price reduction? (Hint: The answer is not 17.5%)2. The attempt at a solution
Q1. 7.5+100 /100 = 1.075
$175 /1.075 = $162.79

Q2.
I assume item x = $100
VAT = 17.5% of $100 = $17.5 on that item
To find price before VAT = 100+17.5 /100= 1.175
100 /1.175= $85.11
100-85.11 = $14.89

I don't know how to find the "percentage price reduction". The reduction in absolute terms seems to be $14.89 on a $100 item. And I know Q1 is wrong too. I don't know how to solve questions that are worded in english like this.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi vitaminZ ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
vitaminZ said:
Q1. A shop's normal price for a camera is $175. If prices are temporarily reduced by 7.5%, what is the new price of the camera?

I know Q1 is wrong too. I don't know how to solve questions that are worded in english like this.

In English, "reduced by 7.5%" means that the new price is (100 minus 7.5)/100, = 0.925.

So to reduce the price by 7.5%, you multiply it by 0.925 (check, and you'll see that this is not exactly the same as dividing by 1.075 :wink:)

(Always multiply, never divide!)
Q2. In a sale, a shop reduces its prices by the amount of the VAT on each item. If VAT is 17.5%, what is the percentage price reduction? (Hint: The answer is not 17.5%)

I don't know how to find the "percentage price reduction".

If the basic price is $100, then the VAT is $17.5, so the total price is $117.5.

"percentage price reduction" means the fraction (as a percentage) by which you must reduce the total price to get the reduced price (ie, the basic price, without the VAT) …

ie by what fraction must you reduce 117.5 to get 100? :smile:

So … your answer is very nearly complete, except …

i] you should keep "x" as "x", not make it 100

ii] your fractions are dollars/dollars, which is just a number (ie, don't write "$14.89", write "14.89%", or "0.1489")

iii] it would be quicker to use the difference ($17.5) to make the fraction :wink:

1. How do you calculate a percentage increase or decrease?

To calculate a percentage increase or decrease, take the difference between the original value and the new value, divide it by the original value, and then multiply by 100.

2. What is the formula for finding the percentage of a number?

The formula for finding the percentage of a number is (percentage/100) x number.

3. How do you find the original value from a percentage increase or decrease?

To find the original value from a percentage increase or decrease, divide the new value by 1 plus (percentage/100).

4. What is the easiest way to calculate a percentage?

The easiest way to calculate a percentage is to convert the percentage to a decimal, then multiply it by the number you are trying to find the percentage of.

5. How do you solve a percentage word problem?

To solve a percentage word problem, first identify the given information and what is being asked for. Then, use the appropriate formula to calculate the percentage and solve the problem.