How to Solve the Absolute Value Inequality x|x-3|<-1 for 3x+1?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
mathdad
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
See question for question.

View attachment 8539
 
Attachments
  • MathMagic181029_3.png
    MathMagic181029_3.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 154
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first thing I would do is remove the "absolute value". If x> 3 then x- 3>0 so |x- 3|= x- 3. The inequality becomes [tex]x(x- 3)= x^2- 3x\le 1[/tex] We can write that as [tex]x^2- 3x- 1\le 0[/tex].

The equation, [tex]x^2- 3x- 1= 0[/tex] has roots [tex]x= \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]. This is a parabola that opens upward so the inequality is satisfied for x between those two points. Taking the positive sign, [tex]\frac{3+ \sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex] is about 4.67, just slightly larger than 3. Since we require here that x> 3, we require that [tex]3\le x\le \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex].

If x< 3, |x- 3| is negative so [tex]x|x- 3|= -x(x- 3)= 3x- x^2[/tex]. The inequality becomes [tex]3x- x^2\le 1[/tex] or [tex]x^2- 3x+ 1\ge 0[/tex]. The equation [tex]x^2- 3x+ 1[tex]has roots [tex]\frac{3\pm\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]. This time the inequality is satisfied for x <b>outside</b> those points. [tex]\frac{3+ \sqrt{5}}{2}[tex]is approximately 2.6, <b>less</b> than 3. Of course [tex]\frac{3- \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex] is less than 3. So this inequality is satisfied by [tex]x\le \frac{3- \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2}\le x\le \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex].[/tex][/tex][/tex][/tex]
 
RTCNTC said:
I seek the first 2 steps.
Step 1: get paper
Step 2: get pencil with eraser
 
Country Boy said:
The first thing I would do is remove the "absolute value". If x> 3 then x- 3>0 so |x- 3|= x- 3. The inequality becomes [tex]x(x- 3)= x^2- 3x\le 1[/tex] We can write that as [tex]x^2- 3x- 1\le 0[/tex].

The equation, [tex]x^2- 3x- 1= 0[/tex] has roots [tex]x= \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]. This is a parabola that opens upward so the inequality is satisfied for x between those two points. Taking the positive sign, [tex]\frac{3+ \sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex] is about 4.67, just slightly larger than 3. Since we require here that x> 3, we require that [tex]3\le x\le \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex].

If x< 3, |x- 3| is negative so [tex]x|x- 3|= -x(x- 3)= 3x- x^2[/tex]. The inequality becomes [tex]3x- x^2\le 1[/tex] or [tex]x^2- 3x+ 1\ge 0[/tex]. The equation [tex]x^2- 3x+ 1[tex]has roots [tex]\frac{3\pm\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]. This time the inequality is satisfied for x <b>outside</b> those points. [tex]\frac{3+ \sqrt{5}}{2}[tex]is approximately 2.6, <b>less</b> than 3. Of course [tex]\frac{3- \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex] is less than 3. So this inequality is satisfied by [tex]x\le \frac{3- \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2}\le x\le \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex].[/tex][/tex][/tex][/tex]
[tex][tex][tex][tex] <br /> I cannot read your reply on my phone. The words block most of the LaTex. In any case, what is the value of a and b? Are you saying that the value of a and b is the fraction involving the sqrt{13} on the numerator?[/tex][/tex][/tex][/tex]
 
RTCNTC said:
I cannot read your reply on my phone. The words block most of the LaTex.

Is this better?

Country Boy said:
The first thing I would do is remove the "absolute value". If x> 3 then x- 3>0 so |x- 3|= x- 3. The inequality becomes [tex]x(x- 3)= x^2- 3x\le 1[/tex] We can write that as [tex]x^2- 3x- 1\le 0[/tex].

The equation, [tex]x^2- 3x- 1= 0[/tex] has roots [tex]x= \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]. This is a parabola that opens upward so the inequality is satisfied for x between those two points. Taking the positive sign, [tex]\frac{3+ \sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex] is about 4.67, just slightly larger than 3. Since we require here that x> 3, we require that [tex]3\le x\le \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex].

If x< 3, |x- 3| is negative so [tex]x|x- 3|= -x(x- 3)= 3x- x^2[/tex]. The inequality becomes [tex]3x- x^2\le 1[/tex] or [tex]x^2- 3x+ 1\ge 0[/tex]. The equation [tex]x^2- 3x+ 1[/tex] has roots [tex]\frac{3\pm\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]. This time the inequality is satisfied for x outside those points. [tex]\frac{3+ \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex] is approximately 2.6, less than 3. Of course [tex]\frac{3- \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex] is less than 3. So this inequality is satisfied by [tex]x\le \frac{3- \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2}\le x\le \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex].

RTCNTC said:
In any case, what is the value of a and b? Are you saying that the value of a and b is the fraction involving the sqrt{13} on the numerator?

From the last inequality involving $x$, what do you have to do to $x$ to obtain $3x + 1$ ?
 
Country Boy said:
The first thing I would do is remove the "absolute value". If x> 3 then x- 3>0 so |x- 3|= x- 3. The inequality becomes [tex]x(x- 3)= x^2- 3x\le 1[/tex] We can write that as [tex]x^2- 3x- 1\le 0[/tex].

The equation, [tex]x^2- 3x- 1= 0[/tex] has roots [tex]x= \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]. This is a parabola that opens upward so the inequality is satisfied for x between those two points. Taking the positive sign, [tex]\frac{3+ \sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex] is about 4.67, just slightly larger than 3. Since we require here that x> 3, we require that [tex]3\le x\le \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex].

If x< 3, |x- 3| is negative so [tex]x|x- 3|= -x(x- 3)= 3x- x^2[/tex]. The inequality becomes [tex]3x- x^2\le 1[/tex] or [tex]x^2- 3x+ 1\ge 0[/tex]. The equation [tex]x^2- 3x+ 1[tex]has roots [tex]\frac{3\pm\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]. This time the inequality is satisfied for x <b>outside</b> those points. [tex]\frac{3+ \sqrt{5}}{2}[tex]is approximately 2.6, <b>less</b> than 3. Of course [tex]\frac{3- \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex] is less than 3. So this inequality is satisfied by [tex]x\le \frac{3- \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2}\le x\le \frac{3\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex].[/tex][/tex][/tex][/tex]
[tex][tex][tex][tex] <br /> I made a typo. There should be no x in front of the absolute value.[/tex][/tex][/tex][/tex]
 
Joppy said:
Is this better?From the last inequality involving $x$, what do you have to do to $x$ to obtain $3x + 1$ ?

A friend responded to my question this way:

|x - 3| ≤ 1

-1 ≤ x - 3 ≤ 1

3 * (-1) ≤ 3 * (x - 3) ≤ 3 * 1

-3 ≤ 3x - 9 ≤ 3

-3 + 10 ≤ 3x - 9 + 10 ≤ 3 + 10

7 ≤ 3x + 1 ≤ 13

a = 7, b = 3

Is this correct?

Where did 10 come from in his reply?
 
Last edited:
RTCNTC said:
|x - 3| ≤ 1

-1 ≤ x - 3 ≤ 1

3 * (-1) ≤ 3 * (x - 3) ≤ 3 * 1

-3 ≤ 3x - 9 ≤ 3

-3 + 10 ≤ 3x - 9 + 10 ≤ 3 + 10

7 ≤ 3x + 1 ≤ 13

a = 7, b = 3

Is this correct?

Yes, though it might have been simpler to get $x$ by itself from the first line.
 
I will try more similar questions at home. If I get the wrong answer or get stuck, I will post all three questions with my work shown.
 
RTCNTC said:
I will try more similar questions at home. If I get the wrong answer or get stuck, I will post all three questions with my work shown.

Did you read my previous PM about posting useless comments?
 
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Did you read my previous PM about posting useless comments?

No comment is useless.
 
RTCNTC said:
No comment is useless.

The statements:

RTCNTC said:
I will try more similar questions at home. If I get the wrong answer or get stuck, I will post all three questions with my work shown.

don't have any value or 'use' to anyone here reading them. It's good that you are trying more questions, but it's a bit like if I told you that this afternoon I'm going to go shopping and buy some milk and bread.
 
Joppy said:
The statements:
don't have any value or 'use' to anyone here reading them. It's good that you are trying more questions, but it's a bit like if I told you that this afternoon I'm going to go shopping and buy some milk and bread.

I totally understand what you're saying. I just thought that revealing some of my daily activities would make for extra conversation. However, I will only stick to math and math only.
 
A friend responded to my question this way:

|x - 3| ≤ 1

-1 ≤ x - 3 ≤ 1

3 * (-1) ≤ 3 * (x - 3) ≤ 3 * 1

-3 ≤ 3x - 9 ≤ 3

-3 + 10 ≤ 3x - 9 + 10 ≤ 3 + 10

7 ≤ 3x + 1 ≤ 13

a = 7, b = 3

Is this correct?

Where did 10 come from in his reply?