Teacher told to set absolute value inequality to equal 0

In summary: So just solve 2x+4=0 and the two intervals will be separated.In summary, the problem is to solve ##2|2x + 4| + 1 \ge -3##, with the teacher suggesting to ignore the -3 and set it equal to zero instead. However, it can also be solved by bringing the 1 to the left and dividing by 2. The resulting solutions are interval notations from -3 to 3 and -2.5 to 2.5, respectively.
asadpasat
So I was helping my sister on homework and there was this problem:
2 abs(2x + 4) +1 > or equal to -3
teacher told her to ignore the -3 and just set it equal to zero.
Soo should you? This question got me confused. can't you just go about solving, bringing the 1 to the left and then dividing by 2?
EDIT: when I do it I get interval notaion from -3 to 3
and with the zero thing i get -2.5 to 2.5

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
asadpasat said:
So I was helping my sister on homework and there was this problem:
2 abs(2x + 4) +1 > or equal to -3
teacher told her to ignore the -3 and just set it equal to zero.
Soo should you? This question got me confused. can't you just go about solving, bringing the 1 to the left and then dividing by 2?
EDIT: when I do it I get interval notaion from -3 to 3
and with the zero thing i get -2.5 to 2.5
##2|2x + 4| + 1 \ge -3##
##\Leftrightarrow 2|2x + 4| \ge -4##
##\Leftrightarrow |2x + 4| \ge -2##
Since the absolute value is always greater than or equal to zero, you can change the last inequality to ##|2x + 4| \ge 0##.

|anything|≥0. Therefore 2|2x+4|+1≥1 for all x. Any x will do.

Your teacher's point is that "f(x)= 0", for f a continuous function, is the boundary beween "f(x)> 0" and "f(x)< 0".

1. What is an absolute value inequality?

An absolute value inequality is an inequality that contains an absolute value expression, represented by the symbol |x|. This symbol indicates the distance of a number from 0 on the number line. Inequalities with absolute value expressions often have two solutions.

2. Why is a teacher being told to set an absolute value inequality equal to 0?

Setting an absolute value inequality equal to 0 is a common step in solving the inequality. This is because the absolute value expression represents the distance from 0, and setting it equal to 0 means finding the number that is exactly 0 units away from 0 on the number line. This will help determine the boundaries for the solution set.

3. How do you solve an absolute value inequality set equal to 0?

To solve an absolute value inequality set equal to 0, first isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the inequality by using inverse operations. Then, split the inequality into two separate inequalities, one with a positive sign and one with a negative sign. Solve for x in each inequality separately and combine the solutions to find the final solution set.

4. What does it mean if the solution set for an absolute value inequality is empty?

If the solution set for an absolute value inequality is empty, it means that there are no values of x that satisfy the inequality. This could happen if the absolute value expression in the inequality is always negative, or if the two separate inequalities have no overlapping solutions.

5. Can absolute value inequalities have more than two solutions?

Yes, absolute value inequalities can have more than two solutions. This can happen if the absolute value expression is not isolated on one side of the inequality, or if the two separate inequalities have overlapping solutions. In these cases, the solution set would contain all the values of x that satisfy the inequality.