Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve these type of Ochem problems?

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    Addition of HCI to 3-methyl-l-pentene gives two products. One of these is 2-chloro-3-methylpentane. What is the other product?

answer: 3-chloro-3-methylpentane

Please help me, I have a test tomorrow and I'm unsure of how to do this type of problem. I started out by drawing the molecule, but I seem to have added HCl worng.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2
    The hydrogen atom and the chlorine atom will add on each side of the double bond.

The basic steps are: the double bond attacks the hydrogen atom, which is added to the "less substituted" carbon center. The carbon on the other end of the double bond temporarily becomes a carbocation, which is then attacked by the chlorine ion.

The "major" product (most commonly produced) should be 3-chloro-3-methylpentane. When you have a temporary carbocation, it is most stable on a tertiary carbon center.

In this case, you initially have a carbocation on either the 1 or 2 carbon (2 is more stable than 1), and in both cases you will have a hydrogen shift, from either the 3 to the 2, or the 2 to the 1, which results in either a secondary or tertiary carbocation.

This would all make much more sense if it could be drawn out. Look up hydrohalogenation reactions and find some with carbocation shifts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook