1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this triangle problem.

1. Aug 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The altitude perpendicular to the hypotenuse of a right triangle is 12 cm. Express the length of the hypotenuse as a function of the perimeter.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

So I have to express the hypotenuse (h) in terms of the perimeter. I tried to find the area of the triangle using two different equations

1) A = (1/2)*12*h = 6h
    2) A = (1/2)*xy, let x and y be the other sides of the triangle

I can set them to each other, but I get 6h = 0.5xy

The perimeter (P) is x+y+h.

I have no idea how to express h in terms of P since now I have too many variables.

I tried substitution, and the best I got (without using x and y) was some complicated polynomial with P and h that I couldn't just simply solve for h.

Any tips are appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think of Pythagoras' Theorem.

ehild

4. Aug 22, 2012 #3
    I certainly did. But I still have to assign a variable to one of the sides, ie x, and then the other side would be [itex]\sqrt{h^{2} - x^{2}}[/itex]

It doesn't help me in putting h in terms of P however, because now

P = [itex]x + h + \sqrt{h^{2} - x^{2}}[/itex]

How can I express [itex] h [/itex] only in terms of [itex] P [/itex]?

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

You basically have to solve for x in terms of h.

Use [itex]x\sqrt{h^2 - x^2} = 12h[/itex], which you've already figured out.

Square both sides to get a quartic in x that can be reduced to a quadratic by a sub like [itex]z = x^2[/itex], then solve for x in terms of h.

The algebra can be a little messy, though.

6. Aug 23, 2012 #5
    Ok. If I only have to express it in terms of x then I can do it. Glad to know that it's physically impossible to express it in P. Thanks!

7. Aug 23, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

NO! You *solve* for x in terms of h, then replace all the x terms in [itex]P = x + h + \sqrt{h^2 - x^2}[/itex] with this expression. Finally, rearrange/solve to get h in terms of P.

As I said, it's messy. But completely possible.

8. Aug 23, 2012 #7
    LOL. I like your emphatic NO. But yea, that sounds very messy indeed.... I see some [itex]x^{2}h^{2} - x^{4} = 144h^{2}[/itex]... Just this alone makes me not want to do it...

9. Aug 23, 2012 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I just did it. Yes, it's tedious. But once you work through the algebra, you get a nice simple expression for h in terms of P.

Some things to note. You'll get two solutions for the quadratic in [itex]x^2[/itex]. Keep both of them. You'll find a nice symmetry in the expression for [itex]\sqrt{h^2 - x^2}[/itex] when you use each of the values of [itex]x[/itex] that'll simplify your work (so you don't have to do everything twice!). Also keep the identity [itex](a + b)(a - b) = a^2 - b^2[/itex] in mind because you'll find that a great timesaver.

Other than that, you just have to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. I can't give you any more help without giving you the complete solution. :biggrin:

(I was hoping there'd be a simpler way with similar triangles, but no such luck).

10. Aug 23, 2012 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From Pythagoras' Theorem, x2+y2=h2, and you know that xy=12h.
    If you add 2xy to both sides to Pythagoras' equation you get the square of x+y on he left side:

(x+y)2=h2+2xy=h2+24h.
    x+y=P-h. Substitute for x+y, expand, simplify. The solution is two more lines (h2 cancels).

ehild

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  11. Aug 23, 2012 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also keep the identity (a+b)2=a2+b2+2ab
    in mind because you'll find that a great timesaver. :biggrin: in problems where sum and product of two variables are involved.

ehild

12. Aug 23, 2012 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Well, I thought that one went without saying. :biggrin:

13. Aug 23, 2012 #12

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Wow, this is really, really neat!:approve:

Mine was like :eek: then :yuck:, finally ending up :smile:.

But I'm :redface: I didn't see your way from the start. I blame the fever I'm having! :tongue:

14. Aug 23, 2012 #13
    Thanks guys, that was good!

15. Aug 23, 2012 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Get well soon! :smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook