Prove the sums of the angles of any given triangle = 180°

In summary, any triangle can be copied and flipped and placed beside the original one and form a rectangle,square, or parallelogram.
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

Prove that if A,B,C, are the angles of an arbitrary triangle, then

m(A)+m(B)+m(C) = 180 degrees by the following method: From any vertex draw the perpendicular to the line of the opposite side. Then use the result already known for right triangles

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can break this proof down into 3 cases

a right triangle, with base b and height h, with the perpendicular of the vertex

a triangle with height h, and a base b+x, x>0 where its perpendicular is x units to the left of the right triangles perpendicular

a triangle with height h, and a base b+k k<0 where its perpendicular is k units to the left of the right triangles perpendicular

am I right here or are there other cases i need to consider?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To me,a simpler version will be:

Any triangle can be copied and flipped and placed beside the original one and form a rectangle,square, or parallelogram.

All of the three shapes above has the inner angle sum of 360 degrees, so ##\frac{360}{2} = 180##.

Young physicist said:
To me,a simpler version will be:

Any triangle can be copied and flipped and placed beside the original one and form a rectangle,square, or parallelogram.

All of the three shapes above has the inner angle sum of 360 degrees, so ##\frac{360}{2} = 180##.

This is my method as well but I am trying to follow the prompt given

I might just skip this because it's worded pretty weirdly tbh.. i don't even know if I get what it means. and like Yung physicist said, there is much easier way to prove what he is asking

r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

Then use the result already known for right triangles
Which results are you implying here ?

TachyonLord said:

If you have a right triangle, two angles will add up to 90 degrees

You basically have to consider these two cases where the height of the triangle ABC from vertex A, to side BC, the height being AD, and D is either inside BC or it meets the extension of the side BC.

In both cases you consider the right triangles ABD, ACD (D the right angle) and right two equations using the known result for right triangles. You add the two equations (or subtract the two equations in the second case with D outside) and you prove what is needed to be proved.
triangles.png

Oh and there is the third case where the triangle ABC is right, this case follows directly from the known result that you have to use.

EDIT : The case with D outside needs a bit more special treatment but the general idea remains the same.

Attachments

• triangles.png
    triangles.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 739
Delta2 said:
You basically have to consider these two cases where the height of the triangle ABC from vertex A, to side BC, the height being AD, and D is either inside BC or it meets the extension of the side BC.

In both cases you consider the right triangles ABD, ACD (D the right angle) and right two equations using the known result for right triangles. You add the two equations (or subtract the two equations in the second case with D outside) and you prove what is needed to be proved.View attachment 236391

Oh and there is the third case where the triangle ABC is right, this case follows directly from the known result that you have to use.

EDIT : The case with D outside needs a bit more special treatment but the general idea remains the same.

Hmm. So for the first one, since I already know a right triangle has an angle of 90 degrees, and the sum of the remaining two angles = 90deg, that leave A1+C = 90, and A2+B= 90, adding together A1+A2+B+C=190, but A1+A2= A so A+B+C=180 deg

For the second one,

lets say C1 and A1 are inside the right triangle

we have C1+A1+90=180
C1+A1=90C1+C2=180
C1 = 180-C2

180-C2+A1= 90

A1+A2+B= 90

(90-C1)+A2+B=90

(90-(180-C2))+A2+B=90

-90 + C2 + A2 + B = 90

C2+A2+B = 180

Likes Delta2
I think you are right (as long as C1,C2, A1,A2 are the angles I think they are). Forgot to mark all the proper angles in the schemes.

r0bHadz said:
But that does arise from the angle sum property right ? So we're assuming that its true for right triangles and then proving for others ? (acute and obtuse triangles ?)

TachyonLord said:
But that does arise from the angle sum property right ? So we're assuming that its true for right triangles and then proving for others ? (acute and obtuse triangles ?)
@r0bHadz does not state how the case for a right triangle was presented. However, the instructions state to use that result.

If you follow the sequence of posts referencing this issue, this becomes reasonably clear.

r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

m(A)+m(B)+m(C) = 180 degrees by the following method: From any vertex draw the perpendicular to the line of the opposite side. Then use the result already known for right triangles.
TachyonLord said:
r0bHadz said:
I assume that @r0bHadz means 'the two acute angles add to 90 °.' .

Last edited:
Likes TachyonLord
Hint:
7d1d2882a49e24d7494a4504f38d4729c89bf688.png

α+β+γ=360°
∠CBA = ½β (why?)
etc.

Attachments

• 7d1d2882a49e24d7494a4504f38d4729c89bf688.png
    7d1d2882a49e24d7494a4504f38d4729c89bf688.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 373
Likes neilparker62 and nikilKRP
r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

m(A)+m(B)+m(C) = 180 degrees by the following method: From any vertex draw the perpendicular to the line of the opposite side. Then use the result already known for right triangles
Referring to the top diagram in post 7, I assume the "result already known" means ##D_1=D_2=90## (degrees). Then : $$D_2=B+A_1 $$ and $$D_1=C+A_2 $$ with D1 and A1 being in the left hand triangle. I'm not quite sure if we are "allowed" to invoke the theory regarding external angle of triangle as I have done ? In the second diagram (post 7) , we should perhaps rather drop the perpendicular from vertex C.

Last edited:

1. What is the theorem that proves the sum of angles in a triangle is always 180°?

The theorem that proves the sum of angles in a triangle is always 180° is called the Triangle Sum Theorem. This theorem states that the sum of the interior angles of any triangle is always equal to 180°.

2. Why is it important to prove the sum of angles in a triangle equals 180°?

Proving that the sum of angles in a triangle is always 180° is important because it is a fundamental concept in geometry. It allows us to understand the relationship between the angles of a triangle and how they add up to a specific value. This knowledge is essential in solving various mathematical problems and in more complex geometric proofs.

3. Can the sum of angles in a triangle ever be greater or less than 180°?

No, the sum of angles in a triangle can never be greater or less than 180°. This is because a triangle is a closed shape with three sides, and the sum of its interior angles is always fixed at 180° regardless of the size or shape of the triangle. This is a property of triangles that is true for all triangles, whether they are equilateral, isosceles, or scalene.

4. How can I prove the sum of angles in a triangle equals 180°?

To prove that the sum of angles in a triangle equals 180°, you can use the Triangle Sum Theorem or other geometric principles and theorems such as the Angle Sum Theorem, Exterior Angle Theorem, or the Parallel Lines Theorem. You can also use algebraic equations and properties to show that the sum of the angles is always equal to 180°.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Triangle Sum Theorem?

No, there are no exceptions to the Triangle Sum Theorem. This theorem is a fundamental concept in geometry that holds true for all triangles, regardless of their size, shape, or orientation. It is a proven mathematical fact that has been tested and verified through various geometric proofs and experiments.