How to standardize HCl by titrating with oxalic acid and calcium hydroxide

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dynamis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Titration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Dynamis
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Question:
Prepare a standard solution of oxalic acid (approx. 0.05M). Use it to find the conc of the given solution of CaCOH. Use this to standardize the given solution of HCl.

So basically I am suppose to do this as an inclass lab. I will be given a 250 ml volumetric flask where i will have to mix water and a calculated amount of oxalic acid in solid form in it. How will I do the calculations and how will I approach this lab. I'm so lost. Any help would great, thanks in advance!
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Any textbook on analytical chemistry covers alkalimetric titration, together with precise recipes and how-tos.
 
Dynamis said:
Question:
Prepare a standard solution of oxalic acid (approx. 0.05M). Use it to find the conc of the given solution of CaCOH. Use this to standardize the given solution of HCl.

So basically I am suppose to do this as an inclass lab. I will be given a 250 ml volumetric flask where i will have to mix water and a calculated amount of oxalic acid in solid form in it. How will I do the calculations and how will I approach this lab. I'm so lost. Any help would great, thanks in advance!

keep in mind that oxalic acid is a diprotic acid, so it will take half the amount of oxalic acid (moles) to neutralize all of the base.
 
Thanks for the response guys, I did pretty good on this inclass lab exam today, as far as the calculations went, but the actual titrating and stuff was a little weird as I overfilled my volumetric flask and some other weird stuff. Overall I did alright, but thanks anyway for the help.