1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to stop a free-falling elevator

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    This is a different take on an elevator problem:

An elevator and contents have a mass of 300kg and travels at 2.5 m/s during normal operation. The elevator's cables break and begins to free-fall.

You need to stop the elevator and the max allowed deceleration is 4m/s^2. There is 0.05m between each side of the elevator and the walls, and the coefficient between steel members and the elevator shaft is mu(k)=0.3.

I assume that you can use steel wedges to help stop the elevator and then couple it with a spring mechanism at the bottom. But, it seems that even with 4 steel wedges on each side, the spring will need to create a force of ~500N.

Any suggestions...because I'm kinda all out of ideas

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2
    It all depends on "when" you can apply your options. Is it immediately, or some?what? time before you can apply your options.

I would flood the bottom of the shaft myself. If you can get 10' of water, then you may only have a few broken legs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?