1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse: Jumping before the elevator crashes

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    Hello!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    After the cable snaps and the safety system fails, an elevator cab free falls from a height of 36m. During the collision at the bottom of the elevator shaft, a 90 kg passenger is stopped in 0.005 s. Assume that neither the passenger nor the cab rebounds. What are the magnitudes of the:

a) impulse and b) average force on the passenger during the collision?

If the passenger were to jump upward with a speed of 7.0 m/s relative to the cab floor just before the cab his the bottom of the shaft, what are the magnitudes of the:

c) impulse and d) average force (assuming the same stopping time)?

2. Relevant equations

J = F⃗Δt= Δp⃗ = m(v⃗f−v⃗i)
    v2=v20+2aΔy

3. The attempt at a solution

a) I used this formula v2=v20+2aΔy with y=-36m and v2=0 to solve for v1. I got that v1=26.56 m/s

I then used J = Δp⃗ = m(v⃗f−v⃗i) using vf= 0 and v1=26.56 to get that J=-2390.7 kgm/s

b) I used J = F⃗Δt with J=-2390.7 and t=0.005s to get that F= -478136.38 N (480000 N)

c) I used J = Δp⃗ = m(v⃗f−v⃗i) again, but I was confused as to whether or not vi= 7 m/s (or if it was more complex than that). But I used vi=7 m/s to get that J = -630 kgm/s

d) J = F⃗Δt with the new J to find that F=126000 N

Am I on the right track? The numbers just seem so high...But I guess the dude's falling from quite a height.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi js732192. Welcome to PF !

a & b look good.

For c & d:

The passenger jumps upward at a speed of 7m/s, relative to the cab floor, just before the cab hits the bottom ...

If the cab's speed is 26.56 m/s (downward) just before it hits the bottom, what is the passengers speed just before impact?

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3
    Would the passenger's speed be 7 + 26.56 = 33.56 m/s?

5. Jul 1, 2011 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

No. By jumping upwards, he's trying to move away from the ground, so it doesn't make sense that he's approaching the ground faster.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook